First time Carping

chrislee342

Hi all.

I have found a pool by me which holds a good head of carp so I am planning on paying a visit 2moro.

Firsty though, this is the first time I have gone out to target carp so I want to keep it as simple as possible to begin with. The rig I am going to use is the basic mono rig as described on this page.

http://www.masterblanker.com/2010/02/24/be...g-carp-fishing/

A couple of questions I have are:

What strength line would be sufficient for this rigs mainline and hooklength?

What size/type hook should I use when using 10mm boilies?

Thanks.

Chris

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your rig needs to be balanced according to factors including but not restricted to: size of fish likely to be encountered, distance from bank to fishing area, depth of water. Most people seem to be blinkered into always ledgering for carp when float fishing or float / ledgering is often a better method under some circumstances.

For smallish carp up to say 10lb then a 8lb mainline and 6lb hook length would be my choice with a rod of around 1.25lb TC. A size 8 or 10 hook would be my choice. Actual hook sizes vary by brand so this is approximate to the type I use.

If you are looking at double figure to twenty plus fish then step up to 10 - 12lb main line and hook lengths of around 3/4 of that strength and a rod of around 1.5 to 1.75lb TC dependent on whether you need to bully fish to avoid affecting other anglers swims or if there were snags. For hooks I'd go a little bigger, say a 6 or 8 again with the above proviso.

Don't just rely on boilies. Pack a tin of sweetcorn and a tin of luncheon meat to use of the boilies don't get a bite.

Best of luck.

Regards, Clive

Your rig needs to be balanced according to factors including but not restricted to: size of fish likely to be encountered, distance from bank to fishing area, depth of water. Most people seem to be blinkered into always ledgering for carp when float fishing or float / ledgering is often a better method under some circumstances.

For smallish carp up to say 10lb then a 8lb mainline and 6lb hook length would be my choice with a rod of around 1.25lb TC. A size 8 or 10 hook would be my choice. Actual hook sizes vary by brand so this is approximate to the type I use.

If you are looking at double figure to twenty plus fish then step up to 10 - 12lb main line and hook lengths of around 3/4 of that strength and a rod of around 1.5 to 1.75lb TC dependent on whether you need to bully fish to avoid affecting other anglers swims or if there were snags. For hooks I'd go a little bigger, say a 6 or 8 again with the above proviso.

Don't just rely on boilies. Pack a tin of sweetcorn and a tin of luncheon meat to use of the boilies don't get a bite.

Best of luck.

I would echo Clive's advice.

Don't get too tied down to boilies.

Two or three grains of sweetcorn on the hair, fished maybe with a method feeder would be my initial approach and don't neglect the humble earthworm. A worm and corn cocktail is often deadly.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

And don't forget to pick the brains of other anglers there, politely of course. Most will tell you what they are doing :rolleyes:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

If i was to use a method feeder with corn on the hair, what would be the best thing to mould around the method as feed?

Apologies if I ask any stupid questions :huh:

There are a million and one answers to that question. My choice would be a sweet groundbait mixed 50/25/25 with brown and white crumb. Nice and simple. Chuck in a few bits of corn too.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

If i was to use a method feeder with corn on the hair, what would be the best thing to mould around the method as feed?

Apologies if I ask any stupid questions :huh:

Too late for tomorrow, but if this is going to be a regular method then check out animal feed stores for milled maize. Take half a pan full of milled maize, soak it overnight then bring it to the boil and simmer it for around an hour. Once it has cooled leave it in the pan still in the water for a few days then drain it and bag the maize into 1lb amounts. By preparing it in this way you will release the starches and make it sticky so it will form better around your method feeder. Mix the maize with small amounts of breadcrumbs until you get the consistency you need.

If you are doing the feeder method tomorrow I'd forget the method feeder and use a cage feeder with breadcrumbs and maize. It will be easier to get right.

Regards, Clive

Right, I have decided to listen to Sportsman and go with the method feeder to begin with.

I have sorted my groundbait and I'm going to leave the boilies to begin with and have packed a tin of sweetcorn and luncheon meat like Nicepix advised.

What length hooklength would be a good starting point when using the method feeder?

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?