Tackle shops

Pangolin

I couldn't agree more BoldBear. It's not much of a choice, look online and confirm that a shop has what you want or pay a vist that could be a waste of time. That and increasing your visibility, googling "fishing tackle shop" and your city even if you've only got a very basic website could open you up to no end of new customers.

I have to say that even when there were several nearby tackle shops in my area I only ever stuck to the one. The service and help there made all the difference for me.

Rob

http://www.anglingwiki.com

Angling Wiki - the free online fishing encyclopaedia!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with so many other specialities, it's a difficult choice between online and bricks & mortar shops. The growth of online shopping erodes the business of the local shop, but the choice and price difference is hard to ignore. I guess I have three needs:

1) hooks, maggots, shot, floats and other bits and bobs - local shop

2) browsing, getting a touch-and-feel of tackle, and getting some questions answered - bigger shop

3) buying a big-ticket item - online shop

I sometimes think that the future of retail is as showrooms, financed by sales commission from the online businesses.

There was a recent thread where a forum member bought a reel for about ninety pounds from a local shop. The self same reel was under half that on the net. Got to say that if a tackle shop did that to me then I would never go near the place again! In this day and age we owe it to ourselves, and families, to buy wisely. Got to include postage prices when comparing prices, don't mind paying a small premium to my local tackle shop but double is taking the uric! The web is here to stay, might as well use it! Just need Amazon to go into fishing tackle.

Both of my stores (Lathams and Gorleston Tackle Centre) have online stores as well as stores in the physical realm and they seem to do really well by them. It is the best of both worlds really. I don't understand why a tackle shop would deny itself a whole market of online buyers. Although I buy a lot online, I don't enjoy it as much as going to a shop. There is the whole community aspect, life is all about interaction with others. I feel much better about my life feeling I am actually part of something even if it is just talking to the bloke behind the counter about decent venues and what baits are working where. Supermarkets destroyed that sense of community and now the web is kind of finishing the job. We have a world where generations of younger people stay in and talk to internet friends all afternoon instead of bonding with kids on their street. I'm ranting now but I blame antisocial behaviour and a lot of street crime on the fact that nobody looks out for one another or even cares for their neighbour due to the gradual decline of community spirit caused by supermarkets, the web and homemakers being at work instead.

Just need Amazon to go into fishing tackle.

I think you will find they have Peter, not in a big way yet but some quality stuff non the less.

My local shop has a good selection of kit but even then they can't stock everything. I have never spent more than £45 in there as his main items, rods, reels, poles, boxes, e.t.c. tend to be at manufactures recommended prices. I saw a rod £10 cheaper in a shop in a nearby town and they aren't renowned for discounting, so if they can do it why can't my local shop? I would rather buy locally but I can't justify paying over the odds for the same thing that I can get from the Internet.

I may be in the minority here, but here's what I do.

I decide what I want, after reading recommendations on this site and using t'Internet. I then go into my local tackle shop and see if he has it in stock. If not, I'll order it from him.

I may have to wait a week or two, and possibly pay slightly more than I've seen it at on-line, but in the end I get what I want. I also have all those endless cups of coffee, natters with local anglers, lots of laughs and hints and tips as to where is fishing well, and what is working.

I'm not loaded - far from it! Money has been very tight recently, but you know, I don't begrudge a penny of it. I don't expect a small local shop to be able to compete with the big guys. My recent purchases have included a new Shimano rod at approcaching £100, and a reel at almost £70, plus a Korum chair, various accessories and several items of luggage. I could have saved quite a bit on these purchases by shopping online, but I choose not to. A small local shop can't possibly compete with the big buyers.

Daft? Well maybe I am, but I also like to think that I'm doing my small part in helping to keep a local business afloat. After all, if he goes to the wall, where would I be? If it wasn't for his help and advice when I started, I'd not be fishing now, and the weekend brew and chat with other local anglers is just priceless. Good service and advice deserves some loyalty, even if it costs us a little bit more....

Sometimes we have to look to the future and think....just where am I going to get half a pint of pinkies on a Sunday morning? On the Internet? I don't think so.....

Local tackle shops? Use them or lose them... it's your choice!

Janet

Janet, I respect your choice and your opinion. Use it or loose it is a very real likelyhood in this day and age. My own home town is down to one tackle shop, from five a few years ago, and that's for sale. Perhaps the motto for most tackle shops might be 'adapt, or die'. My local Angling Direct and Lathams have shown that it can be done, although I have to travel to visit them. Do I need pinkies? Naaaa, now't wrong with a loaf of Warburtons!

Edited by Elton

Is that the one on like a industrial estate in a warehouse, if you go up stairs you have to clamber over everything and nothing has prices on up stairs?

Yes mate.Not that Ive ever been upstairs!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!