Vagabonds in the Pantanal

Vagabond

My thanks to Ayjay. Just came to post on here, after Newt alerted me, but you seem to have it covered.

It's not the best upload system in the world, but it works once you get the hang of it.

I think we should consider a major forum change in 2013 :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-812-1354146380_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone, Here as an appetiser is a picture of a spotted sorubim.

I am a bit busy over the next few days, but will play around with this new system and post another few pics as soon as I can

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

post-812-1354146380_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone, Here as an appetiser is a picture of a spotted sorubim.

I am a bit busy over the next few days, but will play around with this new system and post another few pics as soon as I can

Hemisorubim cf. platyrhynchos, but I guess you already knew that one ;)

This is another one where it's quite possible that there's more than one species involved across the (huge) distribution, just as-yet-unrecognised.

Hemisorubim cf. platyrhynchos, but I guess you already knew that one ;)

This is another one where it's quite possible that there's more than one species involved across the (huge) distribution, just as-yet-unrecognised.

Yes, I had it captioned as such in "My Pictures", and the caption got as far as the pre-posting encryption, but doesn't carry through to the thumbnail.

So I described it in the vernacular. Variation across a wide range is something you get used to when fishing across continents - it was even noticeable in the UK until people started moving fish about.

One of the first doradid catfish I caught "clamped" my long-handled artery clamps - it did not require too much imagination to realise it would be a bad place for one's fingers.

Will send you a pic of the "bait" tuvira.

RNLI Governor

Again, got a pic of the "Ponyfish"? Common names always lead to potential confusion, but the true Ponyfish (Leiognathidae) have an Indo-Pacific distribution. A family which is found in the western Atlantic and look very similar might be the Gerreidae, they're common in coastal areas of Brazil.

Quite right. I was thinking like an Australian (that will make BobJ cackle :) ) having caught stacks of ponyfish in Queensland estuaries.

I should have been thinking like a South American and called it a Mojarra (ie Gerreidae - a similar, and allied, but distinctly different family)

Pic on its way

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

A pompano in the estuary is quite a catch, they're not known for brackish water.

True enough, and it deserves an explanation.

The estuary was part of a small river - the SE coast of Brazil is backed by mountains, so despite the heavy rainfall, the rivers there are short and narrow and numerous. That means each carries a relatively small volume of fresh water.

This, in turn, means there is not a lot of mixing of salt and fresh water as in a large wide estuary. The main influence on water composition is tidal rather than river input. The denser salt water actually "pushes underneath" the less dense freshwater and the transition zone from salt to fresh is small.(what oceanographers call a "salt wedge" estuary)

I caught four species in what you might call the sea pool, a short stretch where the water was brackish and the bottom of estuarine mud. About 100 yards downstream the incoming waves broke across what was obviously a sand bar. Having caught four species over a muddy bottom, I went to try the area where mud gave way to sand, and that's where I got a few pompano. The water would be much more salty there.

RNLI Governor

Dave

What a great trip report; we have justr got back from Cuba, but on this occassion the fishing was pants. Errm is still out there perhaps he has had better luck.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Here are three more of the more easily recognised catfish

Firstly a barbule-less cat, Palmito This was an exceptionally large ome, most are about two or three pounds. A Brazilian angler said he had never seen such a big Palmito

Another ladies world record we haven't bothered to claim :)

post-812-1354202435_thumb.jpg

Below is another of Norma's fish. Striped sorubim - they can grow much bigger.

post-812-1354202199_thumb.jpg

Below is a Jurapensem, or "Bico-de-pato" It has a very flat head like a flip-flop sandal

post-812-1354202365_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor