Bivvy Heaters

Black Rabbit

Anyone got any views?

Nothing will burn without oxygen, the heater will compete with you for the oxygen in the available air, tradition says that the heater wins.

Talk to the manufacturer would be my advice.

Just wondering, butane gas powered Bivvy Heaters (such as the type in the picture), just how safe are they in regards of fumes etc when the gas is burning? especially when a 'closed' Bivvy can be considered a 'confined' space.

Anyone got any views?

Hi Blackrabbit

I rarely post here these days but occasionally still read the interesting posts.

One of the reasons I stopped posting was because some ask for help or opinions and don't have the decency to reply and take little notice of anyone elses posts. So I assumed my, and others, veiws are worthless and not worth the time typing.

However your post is a genuine request and one which I have strong veiws on. Its your safety and life and death so worth breaking my silence for.

I bivvy up all year round in some very cold situations. I have been on the fens in minus 4c when everything around is solid. I have had to pull in lines during evening as they started to freeze. I fish in these conditions very often fishing all year as I do.

With the right sleeping bag, bedchair and thermal base layer you do not need a heater. I always fish with bivvy open fronted unless wind turns and blows in or it rains really heavy and drives in.

If you fall asleep in a tent/bivvy with inflammable items all around you and something burning such as a heater you are asking for trouble. remember carbon monoxide poisining sends you to sleep and you do not wake up.

I am sure, by your post you understand that already. If you need advice on what equipment I use and have found works really well after a lot of trials of equipment please ask.

By the way I sometimes get cold feet or hands when night fishing winter time and if I do a hot water bottle is briliant. It works espescially well in a high performance sleeping bag as the heat is retained for longer.

John

Black,

Buy a good one!! Don't be cheap!

Oxygen Depletion Sensor- This is a built in safety mechanism which monitors the air and shuts down the heater when it detects low levels of oxygen.

This is a very important safety feature within closed spaces or where there is little ventilation. All camping heaters produce carbon monoxide, which can build up to dangerous levels when there is not adequate ventilation.

TIP: Again, buy a good one. Make sure your heater is CERTIFIED FOR INDOOR USE, as most of these safety features come as standard on these models.

To figure the BTU needed: Let’s say our tent (bivy) is 5 feet wide, 7 feet long and 6 feet high then our square footage would be 5 x 7 x 6= 210. If we were camping in a moderate climate (not real cold) we would multiply this figure by 4.

210 x 4 = 840. That's what you would need for a space 210 sq ft. A heater that put out 840 BTU

No, I don't know a brand. No matter what - they give me a headache.

Phone

Just wondering, butane gas powered Bivvy Heaters (such as the type in the picture), just how safe are they in regards of fumes etc when the gas is burning? especially when a 'closed' Bivvy can be considered a 'confined' space.

Anyone got any views?

DANGER please do not buy one of those.

They might be alright depending on quality but i would seriously reconsider buying one of those.

Sitting in my mates shed last winter having a coffee bletherin about fishing, we used one of those heaters. It was on less than an hour when a sudden large burst of flames came out of every hole and gap on the heater. Quickly followed by me rolling out the shed door in fits of laughter.

The burst of flames would be enough to put a nice big hole in your bivvy or worse. He's got a small electric heater now.

keep well ventilated.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Hi Blackrabbit

If you fall asleep in a tent/bivvy with inflammable items all around you and something burning such as a heater you are asking for trouble. remember carbon monoxide poisining sends you to sleep and you do not wake up.

I am sure, by your post you understand that already. If you need advice on what equipment I use and have found works really well after a lot of trials of equipment please ask.

By the way I sometimes get cold feet or hands when night fishing winter time and if I do a hot water bottle is briliant. It works espescially well in a high performance sleeping bag as the heat is retained for longer.

John

Hi John,

Thanks very much for you reply to my post. Much appreciated.

My query was very much concerned with the possibilty of toxins created by the burning butane. I have a similar heater to the one pictured in my original post. It was advertised as a bivvy heater, but I couldn't find any warnings contained in the accompanying paperwork regarding the emission of toxic gasses/vapours.

Does burning butane create carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide, both or neither?

It must be remembered that carbon monoxide is heavier than air and if produced inside a 'closed' bivvy, will begin to fill said bivvy from the ground up, and a sleeping angler in a bedchair, being closer to the ground, would be in a position of danger.

Whilst, like yourself John, I wouldn't retire into my sleeping bag and leave my heater burning as I slept (not even on a low heat), there may be others who will, and without being sufficiently informed/warned in advance may not be aware of the apparent dangers, and consider it acceptable.

That being said, I don't recall hearing of or having read of any anglers being found in their bivvies as a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about caravans, camper vans, canal boats etc.

By the way John, your suggestion regarding a hot watter bottle is most sensible, but an open bivvy in sub-zero temperatures . . . . . . .brrrrrrrrrrr not for me I'm afraid, I just aint that tough :unsure:

Black Rabbit

Hi John,

Thanks very much for you reply to my post. Much appreciated.

My query was very much concerned with the possibilty of toxins created by the burning butane. I have a similar heater to the one pictured in my original post. It was advertised as a bivvy heater, but I couldn't find any warnings contained in the accompanying paperwork regarding the emission of toxic gasses/vapours.

Does burning butane create carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide, both or neither?

It must be remembered that carbon monoxide is heavier than air and if produced inside a 'closed' bivvy, will begin to fill said bivvy from the ground up, and a sleeping angler in a bedchair, being closer to the ground, would be in a position of danger.

Whilst, like yourself John, I wouldn't retire into my sleeping bag and leave my heater burning as I slept (not even on a low heat), there may be others who will, and without being sufficiently informed/warned in advance may not be aware of the apparent dangers, and consider it acceptable.

That being said, I don't recall hearing of or having read of any anglers being found in their bivvies as a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about caravans, camper vans, canal boats etc.

By the way John, your suggestion regarding a hot watter bottle is most sensible, but an open bivvy in sub-zero temperatures . . . . . . .brrrrrrrrrrr not for me I'm afraid, I just aint that tough :unsure:

Black Rabbit

"There are many items and appliances within the home that can be the source of carbon monoxide pollution, probably far more than many people realise. The most common appliances are fuel burning heaters, such as furnaces, water heaters, butane or gas heaters, stoves and gas ovens, central heating systems, and refrigerators. Using these appliances in poorly vented or enclosed spaces can increase the chances of carbon monoxide pollution, as can blocked vents and chimney flues. "

from here:

http://www.silentshadow.org/carbon-monoxid...-your-home.html

butane heaters will certainly give it off.

No experience of bivvy heaters, however you could get one of these for £14 http://www.screwfix.com/p/first-alert-c040...ide-alarm/81348

Have one at home if you have an open fire.

DO NOT buy pads such as these http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=carbon+mo...29,r:2,s:0,i:91 they change colour when they detect carbon monoxide, but you'll be dead before you see them change colour, only the alarms work

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

One of the reasons I stopped posting was because some ask for help or opinions and don't have the decency to reply and take little notice of anyone elses posts. So I assumed my, and others, veiws are worthless and not worth the time typing.

John please do not think that all that do not reply think that yours and others views are worthless and not worth the time replying to. Recently I have been guilty of not always replying but with a change of job i've been very busy and have almost no spare time, so when I do get on the net I tend to ask questions and reply a few days later if I get the time. Just if I don't have the time though John all replies are valued and appreciated!

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

John please do not think that all that do not reply think that yours and others views are worthless and not worth the time replying to. Recently I have been guilty of not always replying but with a change of job i've been very busy and have almost no spare time, so when I do get on the net I tend to ask questions and reply a few days later if I get the time. Just if I don't have the time though John all replies are valued and appreciated!

Dave

Thanks Dave and Blackrabbit

I think I must have been going through a grumpy old man phase.

Feeling better now :D

John