Leather hats

philocalist

On the subject of hats, a very nice one arrived at Christmas - floppy-brimmed type affair, similar in lines to a typical 'Tilley' that actually suits my mug (for a change), but more importantly looks as though it will do a stellar job in helping cut down glare from the sun (if we see it again) / off water etc.

The potential problem lies in the fact that the hat is made from soft, heavy black leather, and definitely not a cheap affair - no problem in dryer weather, but I'm debating the wisdom / practicality of wearing it in wet weather. :rolleyes:

There is nothing on a label to indicate any degree of water-proofing, and it was hand-crafted outside the UK, so asking the maker is not an option ... does anyone have any experience / advice here? ... will it live unscathed through mucky weather, or do I wear it at my peril and accept that it may water-stain or worse? ;)

I once found a nearly new Australian leather bush hat beside the Bruce Highway, Queensland. Added some swinging corks and wore it for many years, until a combination of sweat from within and weather from without caused rigor mortis to set in - the hat was no longer floppy, but rigid. It then began to crumble.

...but I am the wrong person to ask for advice on clothing care - I just wear things until they start falling to pieces ;)

I think there is something called leather soap, but I have never used it.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

On the subject of hats, a very nice one arrived at Christmas - floppy-brimmed type affair, similar in lines to a typical 'Tilley' that actually suits my mug (for a change), but more importantly looks as though it will do a stellar job in helping cut down glare from the sun (if we see it again) / off water etc.

The potential problem lies in the fact that the hat is made from soft, heavy black leather, and definitely not a cheap affair - no problem in dryer weather, but I'm debating the wisdom / practicality of wearing it in wet weather. :rolleyes:

There is nothing on a label to indicate any degree of water-proofing, and it was hand-crafted outside the UK, so asking the maker is not an option ... does anyone have any experience / advice here? ... will it live unscathed through mucky weather, or do I wear it at my peril and accept that it may water-stain or worse? ;)

Hi there

I've a Barmah Ozzie floppy hat, I bought a year or so ago over the net... mine is brown leather, but I've worn it in rain & sun and its a brilliant hat. It serves as well as a baseball cap in the sun, and stops sunburned ears. In the rain it keeps even the heavist downpour off my glasses and hair.

If the surface of your hat is smooth, I'd do like I do and wipe it down with some G Wax and a cloth. This not only keeps it supple, but acts as a very good waterproof barrier. I've done mine about 4 times since the spring, and this year has been very, very wet.

I think also these floppy Ozzie bush hats look better with a worn battered aspect.

As with all outdoor clothing it was made to be worn...

cheers

Gareth

I think also these floppy Ozzie bush hats look better with a worn battered aspect.

When I was in the Australian Civilian Military Forces, it was important to get rid of the 'just out of the stores' look for the digger hats we were issued.

A few times under the wheels of a truck, and several times around the assault course, and a bit of extreme heat and rain generally did the trick.

(If you could get near a tank, that did the job pretty much too).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Thanks for the info / input guys ... :D

Dubbin brings back memories of heavy rugby boots from another life, and although my Staffie would no doubt love a goose-fat flavoured hat, she's already looking at it wistfully, even without the added incentive :D ... think the G Wax might be the way to go!

Edited by philocalist