Marking the line

leedsunited

Leeds

With regard the rubber band. I have seen them used as markers as an alternative to a stop knot or marker. The elastic band was simply looped around the line and passed back through itself and pulled tight. the band is then trimmed to a reasonable size. It sounds a good idea in that the matierial is soft and so kind to the line and rod rings. I havent tried it yet but am intending to try it or possibly pole elastic.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

leedsunited:

It seems way to much hastle to fish like this, having to keep casting in and re-setting the clip, there must be an easiar way to hit the same spot ?

I mean, if you are fishing match style in this method and you get a fish, you have to cast in and possibly spook the fish, then clip line, wind in, and cast again to the right spot.

You don't spoke the fish, as you don’t cast into the area you are fishing.

The easier way to do this is simple learn proper accurate casting technique like allready stated.Personally i never use a line clip or anything simmiler.

chris mc:

chris mc:

It seems way to much hastle to fish like this, having to keep casting in and re-setting the clip, there must be an easiar way to hit the same spot ?

I mean, if you are fishing match style in this method and you get a fish, you have to cast in and possibly spook the fish, then clip line, wind in, and cast again to the right spot.

The easier way to do this is simple learn proper accurate casting technique like allready stated.Personally i never use a line clip or anything simmiler.

But even if you are relatively accurate with casting it's not hitting exactly the same spot is it ?

I could cast within a few yards of my area and build a bed of bait up that is a few yards wide. Would this be ok? Then i can save the hastle of clipping up!

leedsunited:

leedsunited:

leedsunited:

But even if you are relatively accurate with casting it's not hitting exactly the same spot is it ?

I could cast within a few yards of my area and build a bed of bait up that is a few yards wide. Would this be ok? Then i can save the hastle of clipping up!

Even using a line clip unless fishing a vissual feature you can still cast a yard or two to the side of the area you are fishing.

Use trees/tree lineings/lillys weeds /pegs anything as markers to cast to. It takes years of practise (well it did for me) so don't get to disheartened if you can't get it correct with every cast.

[ 24. June 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: chris mc ]

place the elastic band over the spool once the cast has been made , when you wound in the line goes over the top of it. the fish can take line from the clutch and line will be pulled from under the elastic band. but the next cast you will have to make really carefull to the same spot and set the elastic band in place again.

leedsunited:

Thanks, any more advice ?

Yes - don't worry so much. If your groundbait is somewhat scattered then it doesn't matter a whole bunch if your casting is somewhat scattered too, as long as it's fairly close. The fish will be milling around in the general area, coming and going, not concentrated in one particular square yard.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

ayjay:

cook them in a pressure cooker for about 15 mins for nice soft hookable nuts.

demon :D

I agree about learning to cast, but i suppose it can be quite affective is fishing to features (pads, tree's etc)

The only reason i use the line clip on my reel is to stop line peeling off in transport.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

ayjay:

The   best way is to learn to cast accurately.

Casting accuracy isn't really the issue, though. It's no good being able to land a lead in a washing up bowl at 50 yards if you don't know where the bowl is!

The point of marking the line is that you have a distance. With a land mark on the far bank you have a distance and an angle, and thus a point. When I've used a marker on the line, I've usually found that I'm more or less hitting it anyway, but that isn't accuracy, that's just casting a consistent distance in the same direction. I'm not convinced that I wouldn't otherwise gradually drift away from the original spot.

It's only really a problem fishing with a feeder at distance on large featureless waters, IMO. If you're using a straight lead over groundbait the worst that will happen is that you won't be in quit the best spot. With a feeder, you're spreading feed over a wide area.

When I used to do a lot of this kind of fishing, I sometimes used a carp rod with a marker float.