Shrimp for salmon ¡ help¡

Inaki Reyero

First of all , sorry for my bad english.

I am a basque fisherman and usually go to fish to the rivers of the north of spain for brown trout, sea trout and atlantic salmon. Here we fish salmon with fly and shrimp or prawn with long rods and heavy rigs. A good friend said me that in england, Scotland and Ireland anglers fish salmon with shrimp too but using a float and casting it. I would like to try this technique this summer with spanish salmons. Could anybody describe the technique and the tackle for this kind of fishing?

Thank you very much

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hola

I didn't realise that there was a good salmon run down there, I'll have to have a go one day.

Welcome to Anglersnet.

One of my friends uses a sturdy float rod (suitable for good sized carp) just under 3metres long.

he uses a smouth piece of wood which he fits with rubber at both ends, he has no weights on the line and fishes a prawn or a bunch of worms about 20cm deeper below the float, than the river is deep. (to clarify, if the river is 1 metre deep he fishes at 120cm)

he then walks down the bank following the float and waits for the bite.

if nothing bites he walks back to the top of the pool and starts again.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Thank you Phil

There are not a lot of good rivers for salmon fishing in Spain, only in Asturias, galicia, Cantabria and basque country we can find this fish. Sella, Narcea and Cares are the most productive rivers with 600 salmons caught in each one. The seatrout is very common in a lot of this rivers.The bigger salmon of the past year weighed 15 kg and was caught in narcea river.

Maybe that the problem in the rivers of the north of Spain was that the pools are deeper than in England are, 3 or 4m.Is so important that the prawn run near from the bottom?. I am very interesting in learn the English techniques for trout and salmon using fly or bait.

thank you, and sorry for my bad english again

Iñaki Reyero

ireyero@euskalnet.net

We usually mount the shrimp or prawn on a pin with a treble hook point embedded in the head. Any heavy float will be OK. Such as a Grayling Bob type or Pike Float, the Drennan Piker or Zeppler ranges are popular.

A carp rod in the 11-13ft range with a test curve of 1½lb. - 1¾lb. is usually favoured on the North West Rivers, Ribble, Hodder, Lune etc.

Baits are usually trotted just above the River bed.

[ 17. March 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: MickJ ]

Mick - http://www.jackfish.net

The impossible I do at once, miracles take a little bit longer.

Hi Peter and Mick

You are very kind but i am afraid that I have to improve very much my English.At least I hope that we can understand among us. Do you like the pike fishing? we have a serious problem with them because thids fish is growing up too much in some rivers , where the trout live, you Know, the more pikes are the less trouts are.

Mick I supouse that if the bait does not trot avobe the river bed It was very dificult that a salmon bite it. Despite of this I want to try it this summer, i am not sure about the kind of hooks that it use, float, leads, etc. If anybody has usefull information abaut it , please help me.

That technique isvery similar to another one that some fishers use to catch seatrout using by bait fly ants ( male ants i think ) but with a less hevy tackle.

Iñaki Reyero

ireyero@euskalnet.net

Hi Inaki, the only good trout is one inside of a pike!! In the UK pike are generally accepted on trout waters, largely because of the income that pike generate for the fishery owners. Spanish pike fishing would be exceptionally popular with English anglers!

[ 17. March 2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Well , in spain the rivers are publics,in some places you can fish getting before a license.The problem is that there are too many pikes in rivers like esla, orbigo, Luna or Porma that ten years ago were famous for their trouts, but now everywhere there are pikes and here trout is a holy fish.

Bye