Running over cats

Colin Brett

Ahhh but read on you didn't go far enough down.

Whoops perhaps I should read the whole thread first

Animals

If an accident is caused by or to an animal, the following points should be considered:-

if the animal is a cat or poultry then it does not count in law as an accident. This means that the driver is not required to stop. The driver must stop if a horse, cattle, ass, mule, pig, sheep, goat or dog is injured

if it can be shown that the owner of an animal has been negligent in allowing the animal on the road, for example, failing to maintain a fence they are responsible for maintaining, then the owner will be liable. Owners are not responsible for the actions of their cats or poultry

if a driver is responsible for an injury to an animal, other than cats or poultry, then they may be sued for damages

[ 29. October 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Colin Brett:
A mate of mine, Lorry driver, ran over a cat and squashed it. The cat had a tag with its address on it so he scoops up the cat and puts it into an empty pizza box. The lady at the house said she did'nt order pizza so the driver explains that it was her cat in the box and could he replace it?

Can you catch mice then? No, I meant with another cat....................

Alan(nl)Sorry

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Has anyone heard the song by Eric Bogle called

"Nobodys' Moggy Now" ? :D

Hilarious but a bit insensitive considering Colin Paynes post about losing his beloved pet :(

Cheers

Scapa

Just a thought?

OK, we don`t like running over animals. Even Norrie was in 2 minds when he ran over a pheasant whilst we were following him on our way to meet up with Davy for our recent weeks fishing.

But if a small animal runs out in front of you, then you brake severely, loose control of your vehicle? Any damage that is caused in that incident is down to the driver!! If by trying to avoid a small animal in the road you swerve under braking and collide with anything, you`re at fault!! Your 1st consideration must always be to other road users!

Bus drivers in London that take avoiding action and injure their passengers in doing so, are more likely to get the sack than plaudits from the animals owner. Road traffic accidents are only notifiable if there is damage to a third persons property or personal injury.

As for the poor cat? I hope it wasn`t a black one! `Cos that will make the driver a racist?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

A couple of years ago ,my wife Shiona found a flat cat against our hedge, it turned out to belong to the lady across the street, she immediately blamed "lunatic" boy racers, and went into a state of mourning, curtains shut etc, etc, later that day ,her next door neighbour came in from the shops, to tell my wife that it was the owner that had reversed over her own cat, it was sheltering from the rain under the back wheel of her car, she was running late and reversed out of her drive so fast and off down the street that she didn't notice her cat getting thrown across the road.... :rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi Paul, My record in one day for doing that road is, 1 fox, 1 cat, and 1 rabbit. It was about 2am on the way to The Quoich and couldnt be helped, to be honest I was more worried about deer running in front of me.My front seat passenger (Martin) was told his job was to help keep an eye out for them. That year was my 40th party and I got a card from the fishing club signed from all my Flatmates :rolleyes:

PS. When are you back up in this neck of the woods, cause you ARE going to get a trout....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/