Perch on deadbaits

Anderoo

On bolt rigs, I should say I wouldn't rule them out completely. I would have done in the past, but have had a number of (accidental) big perch now on bolt-rigged maggots intended for tench. So trying something like Steve suggests, with a backstop a foot or so above the lead link, may well be worth trying. It'd be great if it worked! Anyone done this before?

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Anderoo, so you have given up on the dropshotting then, or is it not allowed on a commercial venue?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I was having some trouble last year with some Perch that would not touch lives with a wire trace (Rules stated you must use wire) and so I tried small deads hard on the bottom with fluro carbon hook lengths. I had lots of bites that sound similar with bobbin flying up but when I striked nothing. I also thought they might be eels but as I still have not had an eel that theory seems unlikely, I also though it might be small Perch picking up the bait and dropping it.

This was on a clear river and on one occasion the mix of maggot and sloppy groundbait I was feeding attracted in a group of decent sized Bream and I saw them take the dead bait and move off quickly giving similar bites to the tricky Perch bites I kept missing. Putting on a small chunk of fish led to a good bite indication and a Bream on the hook. Following on from this I have had the same situation with deads on a commercial water when after catfish and a quick change to a chunk has led to a big Bream. I have tried deads on a couple of commercials with fairly limited success and the sort of bite described seems common for me anyway. I always seem to find that if I am getting this sort of bites a quick change of bait size or choice of bait brings a Bream.

Is there a chance the bites are not Perch?

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Or even Chub an old RDAA pit i used to Pike produced a few big Chub to sea deads wire et all ,They also gave steam off bites without connecting often and a stretched Sardine came back....god knows how they avoided the trebles but they did .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I've seen perch fight over food and even try to get food while it's in another Perch mouth. I once hooked a perch on a small mepps and while reeling it in other perch were trying to steal the mepps from the perch mouth! Could it be that the perch can't swallow the deadbait straight away so they are holding it and rushing off to avoid another perch taking it from them? Can you go to smaller deadbaits? Although I'm not sure this would help. If they are bolting away from other perch they may be dropping it due to a change in resistance so as you suggested switching to drop off indicators might work better.

If you're getting fast runs I think the first thing you need to do is work out what's causing them as this will suggest how to solve the problem. However that's easier said than done as I find perch behave differently on different waters!

Two possibilities immediately spring to mind. The first is the perch are behaving like chickens finding a big worm. They grab it and run away fast to avoid competitors. In this case a smaller bait might work better. I'd also suggest trying a half bait. These often outfish whole baits, probably helped by the smell.

The second is that the perch are suspicious of the rig. When ledgering I find it can be important to use a heavy lead (1 1/2ozs upwards) that stays put when the perch runs, otherwise it bumps along the bottom. This change in resistance all too often causes dropped runs. The distance from the lead to the bait can also be critical. Often increasing it slows the runs down. BTW, I haven't found bolt rigs that successful for perch with big baits. It's different of course with small baits such as maggots.

I'd also suggest changing to a rear dropoff indicator that has a sliding weight (I use a Fox Pike Swinger but change the clip to a Gardner Freeflow one). Better still, I'd lay on overdepth with an undershotted waggler. I've found that this is one rig that the perch rarely wise up to.

I'd add that perch on deadbaits can be notoriously difficult to hook. Many of you will remember the 4lber that Kev Green lost on the Predators programme I did for Sky TV.

As has already been suggested the runs could be from other species. In my experience carp in particular often give fast runs. To avoid carp I often have to go up to 5inch+ deadbaits. I've once even had a brace of small tench on 4inch deads!

Edit note: I was composing this as Errrm was posting something similar, then the phone went. Good thinking, Neil!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Although I haven't got much knowledge of perch fishing as I only really started last year I found that on the water where I was fishing, deadbaits were superior to any other bait.

Before using deads I would always use two rods, one on prawn, one on worm, and bites were normally very jerky, the bobbin often moving 2 or 3 inches then stopping. I put this down to eels, chub or smaller fish tugging on the end of the worm. On my worm rod I did get a lot of small eels but on my prawn rod I never actually hit any of the bites so I couldn't tell you what it was.

In the end I decided to just try a deadbait, so my friend caught a small roach, I knocked it on the head, lip hooked it, and put it on the exact same rig I had been using with worm and prawn. That morning I had a pb of 1lb 7oz, which although not huge, was a lot bigger than what I had been catching. The bite was a steady lift, not hugely fast but I had just enough time to strike.

I keep meaning to try deadbaits again as it was really succesful, but haven't got round to it. Overall I found worms and prawns meant I was pestered by smaller fish and had frustrating jerky bites, whereas with deadbaits bites were not as often at all but steady and fluid, and in my case resulted in better fish.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Lots of interesting replies!

Tony, no lure fishing allowed, otherwise I would be trying exactly that. How are you getting on with it?

I'd rather not use trebles for perch, even small ones. Although hooking the bait in a different place, or using half a bait as Steve suggests is definitely worth trying.

There are both bream and chub in the water, so perhaps they are the culprit after all...hopefully smaller baits and fishing rear indicators with an open bailarm will result in more fish hooked, and we can then see what they are.

Steve B, have you been back to your new perch venue yet...?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music