Perch on deadbaits

Anderoo

Thanks for that John. I'd quite like to see the rollover indicators in action at some point. In the meantime I think I'll have a tinker in the shed and see if I can knock something together that mimics them - rear drop-offs that don't use a line clip.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Andrew

I had thought of making some and easily could but its quite a lot of fiddling around.

The most important thing for me on the rollover is the ball bearing. If you watch the youtube video or look at pictures of them you will see the long tubular stem. This has a ball bearing in it that rolls back and forwards.

When you set the rollover up you have it nose down at front and bearing rolls forward. You can then counterbalance it if required with the movable weight to lessen weight at front end . I often fish without weight on at all. This is actually more resistance albeit still light.

As the fish pulls the front up as it goes past the level point the bearing runs back and lifts it clear of line. This is the bit that makes it more than just a rear indicator.

Darrell had been using an ordinary front swinger adapted and mounted at the rear. He had removed clip device and bent the end rod to work very similar to rollover but of course without the ball inside and without the amount of adjustment.

This was his standard zander indicator having tried many others previously and before buying rollovers.

John

I wouldn't try to be that clever John! I was thinking of having a bit of fine but springy wire glued into the end of a stem that was bent over, with the line held in the wire loop - pressure from a taking fish would make the wire loop open and release the line, which would then just pull off the open bailarm. Hard to explain but hopefully that makes sense. I guess the only hard bit is finding the right kind of wire. 7-strand pike wire might do it, actually.

If it worked it should mean less (initial) resistance than pulling the line from a clip, even a very lightly set one. I've got loads of stuff left over from the bream swinger experiments so ought to be able to knock something up.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Andrew, on my home-made Flipsticks I used florist's wire.

I'll dig one out when I've got a moment and take a picture.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

That does look very good and should at least prove the theory if you manage to catch using it.

The rollovers have worked for me.

I have often had a take that then briefly stops and then goes off again at a more sedate speed. I do wonder if they are picking up the deadbait maybe even backing away from other fish quickly and then stopping turning and moving off.

When a bobbin hits the top with tight line you have no choice but to hit it and as it reaches the end when resistance goes sky high I think they then drop it.

I have been waiting until it moves off again slowly just watching my line pike style.

It has worked for me after experiencing similar dropped runs to yourself. I figured the speed they pick up has to be to do with getting away from something I.E. another perch.

As they know the fish is dead I don't think their initial pick up is a good grip. Bit like a chicken dragging the food away from others quickly before then eating it properly.

John

Edited by John Weddup

IMG00024.jpg

Here's the promised pic of my Flipstick. I made it about 30 years ago!

On the left is a knitting needle that goes into the ground. The hinge at the top of the needle is made from silicone tubing. The body is an elecric light float that uses a battery for night fishing. The florist's wire is simply taped on.

The split shot are simply on a loop of line like an old fashioned link ledger so that you can quickly change the number of shot.

This solved the problem of unhittable stillwater chub bites all those years ago.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I have a pair of original "backbiters"

Would they make reasonable alarms for deadbaiting for the Perch that appear to be in the pond?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have a pair of original "backbiters"

Would they make reasonable alarms for deadbaiting for the Perch that appear to be in the pond?

Never used them but have used a number of similar drop-off indicators. I certainly prefer them to bobbins for perch when using fish baits.

Have witnessed others get and had the same types of bites myself when carping. The culprits turned out to be stillwater chub.

Stillwater chub willtake allsorts of baits but hooking them can prove to a very frustrating business. Somehow they can pick up baits and move them some distance without hooking themselves.

A method I came up with was punched luncheon meat on a very tight hair so the bait was on the outside of the meat with no movement combined

with meat pushed through a riddle and fead with fishmeal through a cage feeder. Worked a treat and I caught loads of them.

I suspect they are chub picking up your baits.

In my opinion stillwater chub are one of the hardest species to target and catch by design.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!