Smoking

terryk

Ten years since I had my last ciggie. Kicking the 2 pack a day habit wasn't easy but it was easily the best thing I've ever done bar nothing. My health improved beyond any expectation. I also got both my parents off the things. My mum lived to 86 and my dad is still healthy, mobile and kicking around at 88. My house is a no smoking zone, my boat is a no smoking zone. If I can talk, cajole or shame someone else out of the habit then I will and I don't feel the slightest bit guilty or smug for doing it. Those things kill and describing smoking as a harmless pleasurable experience is usually the domain of those that do not have the willpower to stop. It was at the precise moment that I realised just how badly I was hooked that I had the perfect incentive to stop.

Stick with it Terry, its more worthwhile than you'll ever imagine.

It helps to have a barrier between you and smoking, something equally distasteful. My barrier was Nicorette chewing gum. Foul tasting things and I hated using them as a cigarette substitute and every time I felt like a cigarette, I tried not to chew a Nicorette. I finally found myself trying to give up Nicorettes and forgot all about cigarettes. It works, try it.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

If you gone this far without a cigarette dont touch patches with a barge pole. Smoking is an addiction not a habit. All patches will do now is to put nicotine back into your system. The idea is to get the bl*** nicotine ( the cause of the addiction ) out of your system.

Terryk, I quit some 6years ago and I found a way to stop thinking of a fag all the time.

I bought myself some new fishing gear, and every time I wanted a fag, I looked at the gear and thought to myself "I wouldn't have the money for this gear if I didn't stop smoking"

It worked, I haven't smoked since!

:cool: :cool:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Well its nice to know there are plenty of allies in the camp. I've smoked most of my adult life, apart from four years or so from when my daugher was first born. I took it up again when going through a divorce, strangley enough when my daughter was about 4 years old! It was her who prompted me to pack it up again recently, when at the tender age of 11 years old she said to me; "Dad, if you stop smoking now, you'll live long enough to see your grandchildren"!!

Cheers.....Terry

Terry

terryk:

Any tips on how to combat the 'what do I do with my hands' syndrome, as I'm due a trip this weekend?

Thanks..........Terry

Have you ever seen the Greeks (amongst others) and there worry beads. It is just a string of beads joined together (bit like a Rosarie sp)

they just run the beads through there fingers, stops nail bighting as well :)

Hang in there mate.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Gave up cigarettes the day I left school, over 50 years ago. Only smoked them 'cos it was forbidden - never really enjoyed the sour taste of Virginian tobacco.

Have smoked a pipe and/or cigars ever since, and find they are non-addictive as far as I am concerned. Having finished a pipe, I might light up the next one in ten minutes or in ten months.

For those that are addicted, one good thing about a pipe is that cleaning, filling and general maintenance occupies enough time to prevent the "chain-smoking" syndrome. Cheaper for the same tobacco consumption too.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

strewth ....if you smoke for any other reason than the addiction youve got be weird. Anyone lighting up a cigarette , cigar , or pipe for the first time is hardly likely to say " ooohhhhh that was so good I think I'll do it again " without kiddin themselves.

When I was about 9, I won a fag in a penny arcade machine and took it home.

My mother made me try to smoke it!

2 puffs!

Never again! Never!

We hear a lot about how the country relies on tobacco taxation.

How can a country be better off because it imports tons and tons of a certain vegetable matter and then sets fire to it?

[ 04. February 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Another "good" thing about smoking and cleaning a pipe is that it shows you what your lungs really look like with all that sticky brown tar in them.....not a pretty sight.

Good luck with the giving it up,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic