Best Centrepin / Rod combo

Martin Hemington

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooh can't resist!! I've got absolutely no complaints with my favourite combo Witcher reel and Harrison 15'Gti. Just about all my river fishing (trotting anyways) is done with these, (the Purist comes out occasionally if I'm trotting for barbel).

And it may be chilly - won't stop me on Sunday!!!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've never yet found a Witcher for sale secondhand yet. Have you Chris?

Paul

I also have my passport and visa stamped for Sunday morning, spent last sunday laying vinyl floor tiles in the bathroom!!!!!!!!!

I am happy with my okuma aventa coupled with either shimano 14ft twin power match OR map parabolix matchtec 13ft waggler (the twin power and reel look o so nice toghether and balance well but the matchtec is so very light, slim and responsive I seem to have more control)

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Paul_D:

I've never yet found a Witcher for sale secondhand yet. Have you Chris?

There was one on e-bay autumn 2002 - Haven't seen one since. Mine was from the last batch Paul made (Wish I'd ordered two now!) - he's stopped making them again - much to Glenn's (Spindle) chagrin. Glenn had his deposit returned... :(

Mind you you could have had an original 1939 Aerial that was on e-bay last week - it went for a mere £1225!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Already got enough 'unused' reels but would make an exception if I came across a Witcher. I was toying with the idea of ordering one when you mentioned that Glenn had his deposit sent back....I'll keep looking but am very pleased with my BJ Lightweight right now.

Paul

Well maybe my Youngs Purist Aerial and Adcock Stanton are not up to Witcher standards but they are pretty darn good! But my new Okuma, well, brillient. If money was no object, and with the wisdom of hindsight, I'd settle, once again, for an Okuma.

As for a rod, well, it depends if I'm in my boat or on the bank but I would quite happily settle for a Drennan SFK rod again.

[ 25. February 2005, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I happened upon a spread in IYCF about centrepins, marks out of ten etc. I have Leeds reel as us yorkshire folk tend to have. A point I found interesting was they were comparing the number of BB's loading a float needed to get the spool revolving. I found it alarming that some took as many as 8 to 10 BB's to get some momentum going. The 'Leeds' took 1 BB, the least loading in the survey. The only disadvantage this gives you, is that when threading the rings of the rod, you have to be mindful of over-runs as the spool starts racing if you're not careful.

Watching former world champion Dave Thomas (he uses his the wrong way round) he used to tan everyones backside, I have absolute confidence in mine.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.