Signs of fish

chrislee342

What are the different ways to spot where fish are holding on any type of water??

I hear of fish topping but what does this mean??

Anything to help me spot them and help me on my way to getting them in the net is appreciated.

Chris.

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

Topping is where a fish breaks surface. Sometimes crashing out of the water and landing with a huge splash. Not necessarily a sign of feeding. Small bubbles, sometimes in large numbers, can often be bream or tench. Swirls in the surface can often be big fish in mid depth.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

Another term is rolling used when bream break surface and roll over in the surface film, usually seen early doors

Fish spotting in water is usually only achieved when you've got crystal clear water when you have a chance of spotting fish breaking cover or moving over differrent colour bottom which is different from the fishs colouration

If theres any lilies or reeds in the water keep an eye on them to see if theyre moving, if they are and you cant see ducks or water fowl then you've got fish in front of you

Chris,

First, some general questions. Do you want "numbers" of fish or specimen fish? Second, in a river or an impoundment? Third, do you have a species or particular type fish in mind?

You probably guessed what "topping" meant. I suspect you are looking for something to help you catch fish. You're certainly on the right track. No sense fishing where there are no fish.

Your question, if I can put words in your mouth, is - In what order do you use WATERCRAFT to determine catchable or catchability of fish. In science the term is LIMNOLOGY. In addition to our AN answers (mostly based on experience) you might want to google limnology.

Let me start with one simple generalization. Bait fish "top" frequently. Find bait fish and you will find predatory fish like perch, zander and pike.

Phone

What are the different ways to spot where fish are holding on any type of water??

I hear of fish topping but what does this mean??

Anything to help me spot them and help me on my way to getting them in the net is appreciated.

Chris.

Get to know the water - once you know where underwater or surface features such as lillies that are not there all year you can build a picture. Then look at the weather / wind, in the summer fish love to sit on the edge of a scum line sucking in easy pickings.

In winter they may well be in the deeper areas or sitting over decaying lilly beds. Wind on the surface can cause undertow, undertow on the bottom will deposit food in depressions or at the bottom of bars.

Surface features - watching for lillies or reeds banging as fish pass or pick off food, watch waterfowl as they can indicate fish (I have seen carp nose/nudge waterfowl), snags can hold fish, as above look for scum lines.

In shallow areas, margins or clear water look for clouds of silt stirred up by feeding fish.

In clear waters climb a tree with some polaroids and a pair of binos - you can see alot from up there.

Watch for crusing fish - if you watch long enough a pattern will emerge.

Crashing or rolling fish for some reason then go to the bottom - always worth a cast at.

Topping fish can indicate silver fish in the upper layers - many times in the winter I have caught silvers in the top few feet on single maggot/waggler by casting at topping fish.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!