Watercraft who cares

dibbly88

I have also fished against one of theese "LOOK AT THE SIZE OF MY POLE" people and it makes me laugh every time he was on a swim that i fish regulary and proceeded to fish at what he thought was an impressive length (12.5m)in open water choosing to never plumb up at any other length. If he had he would have found an area about the size of a pool table at 5m that hollows off by about a foot and holds fish all year round it is confienantly maked by the end of a branch from a fallen tree so you can find it first time every time. he then proceeded to fill the peg in with what can only be described as play dough not ground bait saying that this was his proven "slop" method. being lucky enough to fish next to him all day all he managed to do was bake a bait cake on the arse of the pond and send all the fish into my swim allowing me to sack up and win the match with him comming a resounding last. this was a true encounter and people should learn from this that plumbing up and baiting patterns are also a critical part of fishing and all i can say to this is cheers for the pools payout!!

Tight Lines, Dibbly88

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham X:

I'm not too bothered that many anglers don't have much watercraft, though.. gives those that have it the edge.

Except that being in the majority they have the 'biggest say in how club waters are to be run.

"Clear out all that weed, and dredge the area to make it deeper.

Rip out the rushes and put in platforms.

Smooth out the bottom so no one has an 'unfair' advantage when fishing matches.

Take out the pike.

Ban this and that and that too.

Put in lots more fish, because that water's too hard."

Who needs watercraft when you have such an angler friendly committee.

Learn the watercraft, and get to love the water, as nature intended, instead of some boring muddy hole with ever-hungry fish.

That's the danger when anglers stop passing on the watercraft they were taught by others. Anglers who passed this way before, and who were taught to watch and learn, so that they could pass on all they knew too.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest sslatter

LR: "Except that being in the majority they have the 'biggest say in how club waters are to be run."

Point taken. Not being a member of any club, that hadn't occurred to me.

Sadly that is so true Leon :( Take out all the features so you dont snag up in them, remove all the vegatation so casting is easier,gravel the swims so you dont get muddy er the easy to errect your two man bivvy in "double" swims that is of course,oh and while were at it theres not enough fish so lets chuck in a couple of hundred more small carp........

"Water craft mate? is that the new bait from Nash then?" :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Leon Roskilly:

That's the danger when anglers stop passing on the watercraft they were taught by others. Anglers who passed this way before, and who were taught to watch and learn, so that they could pass on all they knew too.

You beat me to it Leon. Lack of watercraft in a "democratic" club often leads to water mismanagement.

As for passing on wisdom - can I pass on what I regard as the wisest piece of advice I ever had from Dick Walker ?

"Take enormous pains to avoid scaring fish. However careful you are, you will scare more fish than you ever know about"

Izaak Walton put it even more succinctly -

"Study to be quiet"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

BUDGIE:

"Water craft mate? is that the new bait from Nash then?" :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Watercraft has to be the most important "tool" in an anglers "toolbox". Vagabond has eloquently put tips on watercraft that make it look easy. As for these people (I won't call them fisherman!) that insist the only way to fish is to chuck your line out as near to the middle of the pond/lake you can get, regardless of the fish holding features under their noses!, I can only say this, ALL my PB's have been taken within 10 meters of swim!!

Those of you who know me will now that I qualified for the BDAA grand final last year (3rd time in a row), arrived late and broke my pole setting up. Well I bought a new Maver Deliverence pole and haven't used it yet as I bought a 3m elasticised whip at the same time, and am catching all my fish on this !!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Original Q': "Watercraft who cares"

Well, I do (sort of...).

Except that I don't call it that (W'c'ft).

It's, well, for me, just fishing ... REAL fishing -- you know: trying to lure and land wild fishy creatures living in (relatively) wild places.

If you want something different - something easier, maybe - well, of course, that's entirely up to you, but, then, just how long were you hoping to be fishing before running out of the very thing (hope) that keeps you at it...?

See you at the waterside sometime - but don't make it TOO LONG, huh?

[ 15. February 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.