MOT Certificate & car tax

davidP

Excellent - thank you all, you've confirmed what I thought. Time for a trip to the Post Office :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will possibly try it on though, David.

My wife had a couple of weeks MOT left on her car before and they wouldn't let her tax it!

The way I understand it, it has to be a current, valid MOT. Therefore, one day's MOT should be enough!

All the best,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

On the form that is sent to you to use for renewing the tax, there are some little box's near the bottom of the page. These list the documents required i.e. insurance cert/mot.

In your case the box for mot should be empty.

This is what the PO clerk will be guided by.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Trouble is ....I understand that as part of the "franchise" if they make a mistake the PO gets a financial penalty, so if in doubt they wont do it!

If the V11 form is causing the trouble use a form v10 available from PO but you'll need to take your log book (v5) aswell that way they should only look at the date of first registration to work out if it needs a mot.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

David.

The law states that an MOT certificate is required to tax a car MORE than 3 years old. If you tax that car starting in the month of its` 3rd year,as long as a new tax is applied for before the day of its` 3rd Birthday you`re in the clear. Once its` 3rd birthday arrives you`ll have to offer it for an MOT inspection however.

As an MOT test is sometimes a more reliable indication of a vehicles road worthiness

than a mechanics ` You can leave that for a few months`, why not get it done early?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Guest Ferret1959

Just cashing in on this thread but if you have a car that is over 3 years old and mot has expired and you wish to keep the car(not drive)on the public highway(parked outside your house), how can this be done?

I know you need tax to keep a car on the highway but does it have to have mot and insurance to be parked outside your home.

I think it's a shame if through illness you can't use your car for some time and are penalised for this.

Like Chesters says "I blame the government."

I had a similar experience about 4 or 5 years ago when the MOT had about 5 days left and the tax was due.The woman in the P.O. was quite snotty about it but issued the tax eventually.

However while recounting this tale to a work colleague a few weeks back he assured me that the rules had changed and that there was a minimum amount that you were allowed to have as valid on an MOT when re-taxing.(I haven't verified that)

If this is at variance with the three week gap in your case then you may have a problem,it may just be simpler to MOT it anyway and date it from 3 years old.

Ferret1959:

Just cashing in on this thread but if you have a car that is over 3 years old and mot has expired and you wish to keep the car(not drive)on the public highway(parked outside your house), how can this be done?

I know you need tax to keep a car on the highway but does it have to have mot and insurance to be parked outside your home.

I think it's a shame if through illness you can't use your car for some time and are penalised for this.

Like Chesters says "I blame the government."

Sorry to say if a vehicle is on the road it has to be taxed mot'd and insured, if you take it off the road which is the best idea you also have to notify DVLC (SORN or stat off road notification) its an offence not to and if you use it on the road in say a years time and get spotted without a disc they'll clobber you for the whole year in back tax, so watch out!

I still suggest that nay one who has queries like this should ring their local VRO they are generally a helpful lot.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

As Dan said

Any vehicle kept on a public highway needs T&T + plus insurance.

If you don't have any one of these then the other two aren't counted either.

You HAVE to have all three or you are commiting an offence (trust me i know from experiance )

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them