Urban chub fishing among the shopping trolleys

kenj

The Tame in Birmingham is similar. The shopping trollies do get washed down in floods but they soon get stuck against something and then held fast buy a layer of mud. At this point, they become useful shelters for fish against the flash floods that occur when a big storm hits a town that's largely covered in tarmac.

We have something similar with the Stour in Kidderminster but it's only really the bit that flows through town that's grubby.

I've bagged up on the Tame when conditions are right using lures, the fly rod and occasionally traditional float tackle.

I even had a chub of about a pound taken from by line by a double figure pike within sight of Spaghetti Junction whilst fly fishing a few years back in a peg that was less than two feet deep. I could see the chub and the pike in the water clearly.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The shopping trolley in the canal, or river are a bit like having a skip and finding someone has put a mattress in there. It always seems to happen. As you say Ken L a shopping trolley can give good cover once it's accumulated a few polythene bags! On one of my other urban rivers, which is full of brown trout, the council cleared out one of the best reaches a couple of years ago, all the bits of concrete, bricks, lumps of wood, plus the odd trolley went, leaving a clean gravel bottom and no trout. I am worried that my little river is due for the treatments soon, as it's very overgrown.

i'm a member of the river erewash foundation who when we can get on there ,likes to clean up .we,ve removed a lot of trollies ,bikes ,Tv's & fridge freezers

IMGP1550.jpg

IMGP1319.jpg

we did leave some trollies in place as fish refuge's ,we try to keep things a little wild and overgrown .we hoping theres no so much flooding this year.

group_image.gif

so theres none of this...................less need of this...................................................some of this.................................

..And more of this

Deano%27s%20Chub.jpg

and this

27lbpike_0.jpg

And maybe if i'm lucky something like this

Scottsbarbelpb.jpg

cleaning out little rivers is about balance ,& sometimes nature needs a helping hand

• Like 1

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Love it Ken. Comparible to my favourite kind of brownie fishing. I really rate the swims that people regard as 'polluted' or 'devoid of life' and round Glasgow there's a few, most of which have thrown up several 3 and 4 pounders for me.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...