Driving in France

terryk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few things that I have witnessed on the roads in and around Paris when I have been on one of my many trips there:

We had passed a moped thingy about 1l4 mile up the road and stopped at a red light. I could see the moped thingy hurtling down the hill towards the back of the car and rememebr thinking he aint gonna stop in time. No he didnt, smack into the back of the car, torrent of abuse through the drivers window and a two finegred salute and he sails off through a red light...

With my french friend just outside Paris at a crossroads. We are going straight but from the right is a fire truck trying to get across with blues and twos on. Red lights our way but the traffic is still streaming through. My friend stops to let the truck go across and because it is a red light, the idiot in the SUV behind us overtakes, looks back across his shoulder to make eye contact through the window and acclerates across the crossroad. Looks back forward just in time to see that the fire truck has managed to inch across, and smacks straight into the side of it. We left him to explain to a dozen unhappy pompiers exactly how he missed seeing a bright red firetruck with enought lights to have a disco to and a noise that would wake the dead.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

terryk

In order to comply with the law you will need to carry a spare set of bulbs for your make of car and a warning triangle.

They can and will check to see if you have them, instant fine if you don't. Don't forget your headlight beam deflectors, best to put them on before you get there, like waiting for the ferry etc.

Oh and remember that all speed limits are in Kilometers per hour, easy to laps into Miles per hour as I expect that this is the more dominant feature on your speedo.

[ 24. February 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

bitsbobs:

Make sure you park your car in the correct places.  I've seen Authorities go to illegally parked cars and paint all over them.

Where? I have spent loads of time in France and have never witnessed this. Most of the time in Caen you won't even get a ticket for staying too long at a meter.

[ 25. February 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

corydoras:

corydoras:

Make sure you park your car in the correct places.  I've seen Authorities go to illegally parked cars and paint all over them.

Where? I have spent loads of time in France and have never witnessed this. Most of the time in Caen you won't even get a ticket for staying too long at a meter.
Lourdes. Only place in France I've been too. 3 times in total.

Lourdes? Never been there but I have seen it on the tele once or twice. A weird, sick place! The catholic version of Vegas. I am not religous, but if JC really exists I am sure this place must fill him with despair. Tacky is not the word!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

95% agree with you corydoras.

Don't know if you've got children or not, but if you have, imagine if one of them was dying without a cure. Surely you'd give anything a try.

[ 26. February 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: bitsbobs ]

I've got two, both brought up as Roman Catholics by their mother in France. I am not a believer I am afraid, so no I would not take one of mine to Lourdes looking for a miracle, but that does not mean that they might not get dragged off there by their (slightly mad) mother. I don't think I would have the heart to try to stop her.