Size of Fixed spool reels

wotnobivvy

I see adverts and some are graded as 030 040 etc. Others are 3000 4000. Some have no numbers, but state float or ledger reels. I have Mitchell 300s and use them for everything, just changing spools preloaded with the breaking strain I need for that day/target fish. Are the numbers a real size, or just an adverting ploy to sell more reels ??

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

bit of both ,some brands have a marked difference in the size of reels in that range .plus its a ploy to make you think you need different reel sizes for different types of fishing ie feeder or float rather than stepping up in size of reel to match the size of fish or distance to be cast .

the confusion comes from everyone using different labling of their reels & sizes .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I agree with Chavender. And it would certainly be handy if there were a standard.

Quite a few companies have a similar system though. The 040 size (or similar number) for instance often means that the standard spool for the reel takes 100 meters of .40mm line. In practice in the UK we often have more than 100 metres of line as we may cast more than this.

So how much line would a spool in this example take of say .20mm line? The answer is 100 meters x .40 squared divided by .20 squared. This comes to 400 metres.

Likewise for .30mm line the answer is 100 metres x .40 squared divided by .30 squared. This comes to 178 metres.

This is only approximate but is good enough in most cases.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net