Archaic angling practice

Anderoo

There seem to be a few topics turning into the dreaded livebait argument at the moment, and I thought it would be interesting to get a list of old angling practices that we now look on as outdated. I'll start:

- Gaffs

- Throwing zander up the bank

- Double hook rigs

- Killing and stuffing specimen fish

Any more?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seem to be a few topics turning into the dreaded livebait argument at the moment, and I thought it would be interesting to get a list of old angling practices that we now look on as outdated. I'll start:

- Gaffs

- Throwing zander up the bank

- Double hook rigs

- Killing and stuffing specimen fish

Any more?

Fishing for anything other than carp?

Rich

I've been thinking for many years now, that the most outdated thing in angling is ME! :(

The old idea that predators compete with us for the fish (insinuating that we have more rights to the fish than them), is one that still prevails. Whether it be Otters, Heron, Pike or even to some degree Cormorants (we build and stock waters to levels that attracts them after all).

The tradition of cutting the legs off heron or killing otters is not done now (I hope), but the prejudices behind it is still in some minds.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Knotted mesh landing nets

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

- lots of fish crammed into old knotted keep nets

- waiting for a pike to run, stop to turn the bait, and make its second run befroe striking

- fixed lead rigs

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger

Leaving your rubbish, old line with hooks still attached etc............I think this still goes on and on a large scale.