Desperately Seeking Crotch Hairs!

Jake

I have been tying flies for a number of years now. I'm always interested in finding that one killer pattern and have experiment with various materials. Last week a friend of mine heard of this knock 'em dead pattern. It's tied in a Carey fashion but here is the hard part. He stated that the fly consists primarily of the crotch hairs that come from a menstruating African elephant. Apparently the India variety is too coarse and gives no action what-so-ever, when wet, plus the reddish hue isn't as vibrant.

I have canvassed my local fly shops, with negative results. Seeing that you live closer to the source, I was wondering if you have access to this exotic hair? I'll buy as much as you are willing to sell. Thanks in advance.

Jake

[ 11. September 2002, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Why do birds suddenly appear

Every time you are near?

Just like me, they long to be

Close to you.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try whipsnade i hear they have a glut :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Find out where they throw their discarded pants, as you will often find the necessary material has been trapped in the elastic. This is far safer than the other method, involving a step-ladder and tweezers.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I'm sure Littlefeathers would have a line on this one!

There used to be a zoo in Bristol. Is it still there?

Jim Roper

Posh horsewomen do it sidesaddle!

http://www.searchlineuk.com/FishList.htm

[ 08. September 2002, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

will this name be ok:

i was just wondering how you'd check to make sure they are the hairs they claim to be. is it in the smell or something. :D For a pound a hair i'm sure some people might try and rip you off. Now where did i leave that bag of Pubic hair

Is this how it's going to be around here? I ask a simple question and in return I get a mocked reply!

Jake

PS. If you do happen to find that bag of hair, let me know how much it will cost me, including shipping and handling.

Every time you are near?

Close to you.

Originally posted by Jim Roper:

[QB]I'm sure Littlefeathers would have a line on this one!

There used to be a zoo in Bristol. Is it still there?

Jim Roper

-------------------------------------

I really dont think i'd be allowed to reply to this one on the web. :D How on earth would you collect the hairs in the first place, bloody painful proceedure if u ask me

Yeah, there's still a zoo at Bristol and Wendy was the elephant there, thou not sure if she's passed away or moved on as haven't been for a few years, if she's still there i know a friend of a friend that works there, dont know if he would like to do the honours, thou i will ask. This friend who works at the zoo very kindly collected us a bag of discarded feathers, not for fly fishing thou but for our necklaces/hair slides and earings.

Davy Holt:

I've heard the hair from the inner left ear of the aquatic haggis makes a good substitute for the elephant crotch hair.

You must think that I was born yesterday? I had looked at it but it wasn't the right shade of red that I was looking for. I like you, also thought that it would be a good substitute, but we were both wrong. Thanks anyhow. I'm sticking to the original plan.

Jake

Every time you are near?

Close to you.