Pike & Soft Plastic Lures

Newt

The Flying Tench:

Steve, I can't find Abu Atoms anywhere on the Net. It would seem they've been discontinued. I guess Abu Tobys would be the nearest thing?

The action of the Toby is quite a bit different to the Atom, and in my experience usually not as good, especially at slow speeds and on the drop. The only Tobies I use are the thick ones that are excellent when you need to fish at long range as they outcast Atoms and most other spoons.

You can still get Atoms from Scandanavian sites I believe, although the range of colours isn't as great as in the past.

Some UK shops still have some in stock. Certainly N&S Tackle in Ashford, Kent, did fairly recently. The number to call is 01233-661770.

I spoke to Pure Fishing, who now own ABU as well as Berkeley, and was told demand for Atoms had fallen and so they were no longer being imported into the UK.

As Peter says there are a number of copies around. These are probably made in the same factory, as ABU switched production several years ago from Sweden to the Far East. However it's hard to find them in the largest 90mm/35gm size. If you do there are some useful colour variations, like those I found in a German shop - at very good prices too!

Has anyone seen any of these copies in the 90mm/35gm size? Peter?

P.S. Can someone more technically minded than me post a picture of an Atom? Thanks.

[ 16. December 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if this chart is correct about labeling the lures

Posted Image

Then I think I can do a picture of one.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That's the one. Thanks, Newt.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Here are a couple of sites on the Continent that still sell Abu Atoms:

www.grejonline.dk/default.php?vis=v...=&l3=&v_id=6275

http://www.godtgrej.dk/produkt.lasso?id=03-01-018

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

The contrary view!

Thanks for clarifying that. Interesting, though I take your point that it's only partial disagreement as you agree that in low pressure deadbaiting is indeed best. Thanks also for the information on Atoms.

john clarke

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Has anyone seen any of these copies in the 90mm/35gm size? Peter?

I phoned N&S Tackle and they no longer have Atoms, and I'm probably dim but I find the prospect of registering on one of the Danish sites daunting. For example, I wouldn't know what colour i was ordering! I'd be interested in hearing how to order copies even in the 25 gm size. The Mean Ripple looks a bit like an Atom, but it's only 20gms.

john clarke

John, I bet if you e-mailed the Danish sites in English they'd be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Budgie, Steve or anyone else interested, I e-mailed the grejonline site on Steve's post of 16 Dec, and they'll only ship to UK if I order £40 worth. It's about 10.5 Krone to the £. Let me know what you'd like from that site, and even if our total doesn't come to £40 I'll ask if they'll send if I pay postage for a joint order.

john clarke