VERY cheap Nanofil

philocalist

That is very cheap. I've been using it in 15/16lb for light spinning for perch this season just gone and found it to be a bit of a curate's egg of a line. It is very thin, strong and smooth and is like braid in that it does not stretch. For casting and working lures its really good but there are serious question marks over durability.

I have found it will occasionally snap like cotton under very little strain (thankfully only when snagged rather than on a fish so far). I think this is because it has terrible abrasion resistance and, once damaged, will snap very easily.

I've just fitted a flourocarbon rubbing leader on the end of mine. Not sure if I'd buy it again. If you do buy it you should inspect the line frequently and immediately cut out any section showing even slight damage as its probably going to snap at a fraction of the stated breaking strain.

At this price though you are getting a very advanced line that really does cast a lot further than traditional braid. Just be aware of the limitations and don't use it where it will be coming into contact with snags/rocks/mussels/gravel bars etc.

Oh and, because it is so smooth, there are only a few fiddly special knots that will hold so you need to practice them.

Thanks for the insight Dave - I've had no experience with this line, and I guess most others will fall into the same category.

Unfortunately, what you say seems to be echoed on other forums too - not yet seen anyone come to the defence of this line, and be positive about it - not a good situation for ANY line (where confidence in the product (or lack of it!) is of paramount importance, but particularly so when this is perceived as a premium product with (normally) a price to match.

I tried it last year and have posted my findings elsewhere. Suffice to say that as my local waters ban braid, I thought I was onto a winner but I was back to Fireline within 10 weeks.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A friend of mine tried it for vertical jigging and found the same thing - very inconsistent and would sometimes snap for no apparent reason. Also he had trouble with knots. I haven't tried it myself. He has also gone back to braid.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Been trying this out on a center pin so far so good, bought the 0.17mm to start with now using 0.15mm takes a little getting used to but does not grate on the rings when casting unlike all the other braids I have tried, Floats on 12ft of Fluro which is connected to the Nanofil with a Korum quick change bead which I might be ungrading to a very small solid ring. No problem with knots use a doubled grinner and plenty of spit which is the key. Hope next year to be finding this in the bargain basement .

All,

Coffee "review" - - - - - - good line but extremely hard to use. Knots must be perfect!!!! Suited for only the most particular anglers who pay attention to every detail.

Phone