Floats For Trotting

Elton

Anyone able to post some pics here of good shape floats for trotting?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on swim, river size, depth, wind, flow.

I am no expert at trotting a float but use sticks up to a rod lenght out and a waggler for anything else. I am only fishing the broadlands rivers.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Elton,

Fishing the shallow carriers, you need a small float that can carry plenty of weight for extra control.

For the main river a longer stickfloat is preferred, if it's really pacey, one with a wire stem.

If going in for distance casting, a big chubber may be needed.

Posted Image

Of course as big a selection is best.

Always attach both top and bottom with rubbers so that they are easily switched for getting the presentation exactly right, especially when changing swims.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 15. October 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Cheers, guys. I've got a few like that.

Think I may even have some rubbers somewhere (never leave home without them )

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

RUDD:

depends on swim, river size, depth, wind, flow.

I am no expert at trotting a float but use sticks up to a rod lenght out and a waggler for anything else. I am only fishing the broadlands rivers.

Rudd,

You can't trot with a waggler!

As the surface is moving faster than the water below, and the water near the bottom will be moving very slowly indeed, compared to the surface (especially if deep), you need to hold back the float so that it doesn't drag the bait through faster than the water is moving down there.

To do that you need to hold the float back so that its speed matches the speed of the water at depth, not the speed of the surface water.

Try to hold back a waggler, and it simply disappears!

Allow a waggler to move through at the speed of the surface layer, and you will be dragging the bait through, and missing a lot of suspicious fish :(

Have a look here http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon08.htm (includes a picture of more stick floats Elton)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

"You can't trot with a waggler!"

I manage ok on the Ribble Leon?...but thats a proper river...not like those tiddly chalk streams you lot have down there, and a fair old cast is required to get to the glides

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

jeepster:

how do you manage that andy? i've akways found it impossible

If you are drifting a float through (rather than trotting it through!), perhaps along the far bank, the problem is that the faster current mid-river pulls at the line, pulling the float towards you.

But remember, the surface water is moving faster than the deeper water, so back-shotting helps to get the line down beneath the surface into the slower water. It doesn't then exert such a pull back towards you, and avoids any additional problem with surface wind.

If wind isn't a problem, and especially if you are fishing from a high bank, then keeping as much line away from the water surface as possible helps.

It also helps to use a float that carries a lot of weight, then the rig is more inclined to stay out there as more force is needed to drag it back towards you.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

I regularly fish the Itchen, Elton, my advise for Timsbury would be a bulk shot approach. My favoured float is an Avon - the sort made famous by " Topper " Hoskins.

Alternativly turbulent swims are best with a chubber style.

I think many people overcomplicate this - I've never seen the need.

Try using a micro swivel, if you're fishing double maggot - they act like a helicopter and cause line twist on your hook length.

Keep a steady loose feed and you won't go wrong. Slide your float up and down to explore the depths.