sky tv

nursejudy

i know i'm thick...but why do you need a phone line for sky digital tv.... :confused: :confused:

does this mean the end of my internet use :confused:

nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are certain competitions and other stuff that need the set to be connected to a phone line. Most of it is crap.....silly games or opinion polls and the like. Also there are adverts you can reply to. You have to pay for the call too. We got this with our system and have never connected it so its not anything to worry about. Like a sub-standard internet!

If that!

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

Most of the people I know who've got Sky TV, love it.

I'd like it, but don't have the time to warrant getting it yet. Most of the things I like are far better catered for by Sky than the terrestial channels.

The phone thing must be to do with stuff like 'Pay Per View', etc. - the one big off-putting thing about Sky, in my opinion.

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I find Sky is way way overpriced ... but is generally good, one habit you develop when you get it, is turning into a major "channel hopper" ... skipping through hundreds of channels in as short period of time just to find something to watch.

Also the fishing is pretty good on it :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

The phone line is basically for playing games @ 50p a session, Big Brother voting, etc.

Pay per view footy matches don't need the cable. Also, Sky do make it a requirement in your contract that the box is connected to an active phone line.

Get cable instead (I work for an operator), I don't get involved in the billing but, as far as I know, there are no long contracts etc plus free service when (if) it all goes pear shaped. Our phone calls/rental is definitely cheaper than BT but the TV channels are pricier although you can chop and change as you want........I'm all right though Jack....I get it all for free anyhow :D

Paul

Sky Television is worth having, if just for the sport and fishing programmes, although the movie channels show some good films, as well.

If you calculate the weekly cost, its peanuts in comparison to other forms of entertainment available.

The phone line requirement, is so that you can access lots of various features.

If you don,t want to use the facilities, then don,t.

Having no choice, but to pay £109 a year to the BBC, is what irks me. :mad:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

When I moved to my present house about 18 months ago I was shocked to find that the TV reception was appalling on all channels. I checked out the aerial and found that the previous owner had put in an expensive booster box, powered by mains. So I assumed that he had put it in to try to improve the reception.

After about 9 months of this I decided to get Sky, just so I could watch the TV, and record.

Brilliant pictures, just like normal TV.

About three weeks ago I went into the loft to alter the phone line so I could connect the line to the TV (I had had one line removed) and knocked one of the TV connectors out of the booster, on checking it I found it was broken so I made a temporary connection straight to the aerial and BINGO, I had a perfect picture on the normal aerial.

Turns out that the booster was faulty and was making the signal worse, not better. So I cancelled my Sky package.......Anyone want to buy a satellite dish? :D

Still cant understand why the previous owner put the booster in!

Anyway, Happy Xmas to EVERYONE,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

nursejudy:

i know i'm thick...but why do you need a phone line for sky digital tv....   :confused:      :confused:  

does this mean the end of my internet use   :confused:  

nursejudy

If you watch any of the pay movies I believe it contacts Sky to let them know to charge/authorize you. There was actually a report on Watchdog or something similar recently about the fact the some people have had huge bills because the box was continually dialling out. Not sure what the outcome was though - BT & Sky were investigating.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.