Human Rights

Polly

Polly:

we used to get a 12" ruler on the hand
We had a batty old physics teacher who thought a two-stroke engine was so-called because it had two cylinders.

After hearing this pearl of wisdom I never took the slightest notice of anything she said, and got quite a few strokes of the ruler as a result.

Being a physics teacher, she had a new-fangled (for then - I'm talking about 1947) metre rule - MUCH more terminal velocity on the downstroke than a mere foot-rule.

However,on the final occasion she used it, I tried a physics experiment of my own. As she brought the ruler down I turned my palm to a vertical position. The pain on my forefinger was excruciating, but I did have the satisfaction of seeing the ruler shatter.

After that she used rubber gas tubing - looked ferocious and made a loud slap on the palm, but it actually hurt very little.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Human rights?

I think we should all pay a tad more attention to`Human responsibilities`?

I thought I`d seen it all until I read of the man making an official complaint against his GP for not putting him on the list for a `cervical smear` test!!!

And yes. In this age of PC gone beserk. The local health authority are holding the poor GP to account. Would this nutter complain if his GP tried to force on orange stick into his pelvic region?

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

it does have two cylinders ,one in front of the piston and one behind ,on the compression stroke the top ones does the work and on the down stroke the bottom one does :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

cramer-carter:

A man sits in a large, shabby, detached and isolated house.

He sits there in the dark, with a shotgun on his lap night after night just praying for someone to break in so he can shoot them.

Let me guess.  You lot think he's within his rights?

I'd add that he should be allowed to put out groundbait as well. Open window and television or other nice electronics nearby.

But I'd much prefer to shoot them in the front rather than the back. A nice 0 or 00 buckshot should do nicely.

Note to chesters1 - it is still safe to bash Yanks on here. Just not 3rd world folks. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Note to chesters1 - it is still safe to bash Yanks on here. Just not 3rd world folks. [[big Grin]]

i`l do my best newt

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

This subject is emotive isn't it. Our society has many problems, there is a lack of respect and tolerance practised by too many people. We are being sent slowly PC mad.

However, I think one of the biggest problems we have is that nobody accepts resposibility for anything these days. Loads of people offering criticism, but very, very few, offering sensible solutions at the same time. It's easy to knock.

The other factor is that if responsibility is accepted, (say by one of our esteemed politicians), everone screams for them to resign. Are we no longer able to learn by our mistakes? Being punished for them instead of being allowed to learn from them is ruining our society. By the way people I'm talking mistakes here, not criminal acts, so don't get hot under the collar. There's a lot of good in this world though, it's just that we seem to have lost the ability to focus upon it. Smile and the world smiles with you (if they've got their teeth in).

:)

shoot burglers properly and they dont re offend.

on the odd occasion they do get caught and fined however , they just burgle two more houses to pay the fine.

a much better idea is give em mine clearing duties in afganistan wearing flippers . now that would make em think twice . :P

Guest sslatter
cramer-carter:

He sits there in the dark, with a shotgun on his lap night after night just praying for someone to break in so he can shoot them.

Let me guess. You lot think he's within his rights?

I, for one, am glad to see a certain lunatic still locked up!!!!!

Your innate personal bias shows itself in your first sentence, particularly the use of the adjective "shabby". What the hell has that got to do with the case? So what if his house was "shabby"? You obviously think this has some bearing on the man's nature. Ridiculous. I'm going to paraphrase your quote with some "commonsense". And yes, of course it is subjective, but here goes:

cramer-carter:

A man sits at home.

quote:
He sits in his armchair in the dark. He can't sleep, as the stress of being burgled so many times in his isolated farmhouse has affected his sleep pattern. So he sits in the dark in his armchair. Under so much stress, he has acquired a shotgun, but he really doesn't know what he will do with it, if the worst thing happens. He just sits there with it on his lap, going ever deeper into his own personal nightmare brought on by all the stress he has suffered.

quote:
Let me guess. You lot think he's within his rights?
Whether or not he is within his rights to defend his property is a matter for the courts of law, but I personally will NEVER accept that this man was, at the time of the incident, in full control of his own faculties, of his own sanity, and as such, he should never have been convicted.

quote:
I, for one, am glad to see a certain lunatic still locked up!!!!!
So you agree he's not 'of sound mind'? In which case he should not be in prison.

I would also like to see this man receive the appropriate counselling and aftercare, and I cannot agree with your judgmental attitude that he deserves to be in prison. Just as much as any victim and their families, he should have the same rights of aftercare. He's been through a serious personal trauma, and if you read his history, you'll see that it all started long before the shooting.. It's obvious that he was NOT of sound mind at the time of the incident, no matter what any self-effacing legal eagle may say.

[ 19. January 2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

too right graham, :)

Ive been waiting for someone to bring up the fact that he suffered many burglaries and as a result leaving him as you put it(not all his faculties intact)which yes he should have been assigned to a mental health unit for evaluation and after help,not prison. :confused:

well put again :)

billy