General Request of Bird Identification Please

nursejudy

An interesting story (to me anyway) about a Serin which helps illustrate the phenomenal ability of some birdwatchers, (not me).

I was sea-watching with a few regulars at Hurst Beach a couple of years back and someone else was out near the Needles on the I-of-W doing the same thing.

The guy on the I-of-W phoned one the guys at Hurst beach to tell him of a good bird which had just gone past and was coming our way when the guy at Hurst said:-- "a Serin just flew over you" -- he'd heard the call on the phone as it flew over.

As an indication of their rarity - the last two identified in Hampshire were one on Hayling Island just a few days ago and prior to that the last one was in October 2010.

• Like 1