Shellducks

Manxman

We have a couple of pairs of Shellducks that nest annually around the harbour. So far there is no sign of them nesting. They have been paired up for a while now too. Both pairs are always having disputes over territory.

The male is the larger bird with the very red beak and the female is sitting, very attractive birds.

ShellDuck1_zpsd8b224de.jpg

ShellDuck2_zps62ca1f4d.jpg

Edited by Manxman

Nice picture John

We are looking forward to a week at Laxey and Maughold (we come over once or twice a year) in early May, visiting Daughters Nos 2 and 3 , enjoying the scenery and birdlife, and perhaps catching a brockan or two.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We moved from the island to Drummore when I retired, four years ago this month........................ hmm time flies when your having fun. The bass fishing is far better here although it's twenty eight miles north of where I caught the majority of bass on the NW coast of the island.

I'll be back over there in June for the TT racing, and off to Ireland for the Northwest 200 in May.

We'll start getting the boat ready for after the NW200 as the mackerel and tope should be here by the middle of May.

Brockan? Bloghan, Gilpin, Coalfish?

Edited by Manxman

Yep, time flies

Brockan is what I have heard the coalfish called on St Mary's pier. Call at the scallop cleaning station at the foot of the pier - collect a bucketload of "queenie" trimmings, fish at the end, and its a coalie a chuck - some years they are three and four pounders, other years a pounder is a good one. Especially good when they bring the trimmings to the pierhead at the end of the day and chuck in a tubful.

Did you ever fish there ?

RNLI Governor

Have I ever seen a Shelduck in North America? Really cool looking duck.

Only in a zoo or private collection, or possibly escaped from either.

However, several European ducks are circumpolar, like Northern Shoveller, Common Pochard, Northern Pintail, Mallard etc

RNLI Governor

Here you go Phone, Pochard first, then Canvasback, (courtesy of google) and one of mine, a juvenile Shelduck.

post-1421-0-95862100-1367007121_thumb.jpg

post-1421-0-00218800-1367007140_thumb.jpg

post-1421-0-84688000-1367007177_thumb.jpg