Another centrepin that's likely to bring a high price

Tigger

Mine must be worth about £7,000 then...I've only made one so far...Sorry Tigger!!!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

desirability and rarety are the key to elevating a reels value ,personally i think the carter won't go too high as its a little plain looking and not too disimular to other match aerial clones (of which theres plenty too choice from) the outstanding feature being the line guard fittings .the rest is just trading on the name .

recently had a discussion about plowman aerials ,now these are rarer than witchers but i don't think they'ed reach such values as the recent witcher this week because they look so plain ,like this carter ,their value being in their rarety rather than desirability through classic looks .classically vintaged styled aerials sell better /hold their value more than modern styled ones .

now if this was a carter "classic aerial" then it would possibly reflect a higher price ,witchers always do well becuse of their classic styling and rarety value

classically styled reels (pre wwII) based on the elegant double ventilated allcock aerial 7950-T7 or the nicley proportioned 7950-T5/6 or whats known as the 1915 model & coxon aerials are the most desirable vintage aerials so those reproductions that look like them attain the highest values.add to that the limited edition/numbers made and throw in a name famed for their skilled work and you have a investment on your hands

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I'm afraid this is where I swap camps and join those who wonder about the sanity of centrepin enthusiasts. The Match Aerial is a brilliant reel and I've yet to come across any replicas which are as good, let alone better. If it's being bought to display then I suppose the name and scarcity will give you bragging rights but if you want to use it then buy a perfect original for half the current bid price.

Madness.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm afraid this is where I swap camps and join those who wonder about the sanity of centrepin enthusiasts. The Match Aerial is a brilliant reel and I've yet to come across any replicas which are as good, let alone better. If it's being bought to display then I suppose the name and scarcity will give you bragging rights but if you want to use it then buy a perfect original for half the current bid price.

Madness.

I'm another big fan of the allcocks match aerial... deffo one of my favourite reels...maybe that's why I've got three of em :showoff: .

I love reading the PIN threads as the proud owner of a cheap £40 PIN, the world of high priced reels is trully amazing. So a question to those who know about them. What sort of percentage of the very top end PINs do you think actually get used? Or are they more a commodity/investment for collectors?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I love reading the PIN threads as the proud owner of a cheap £40 PIN, the world of high priced reels is trully amazing. So a question to those who know about them. What sort of percentage of the very top end PINs do you think actually get used? Or are they more a commodity/investment for collectors?

I don't know about anyone else Dales but I use all mine. At the end of the day even bespoke pins don't normally go for anything like that crazy price the witcher went for and if you look at the prices of a lot of other fishing gear... fixed spool reels for example there are lots of them with price tags well above the bespoke pins. And fly rods and reels make top end pins look cheap !

I have used and been a fan of centrepins since I started fishing as a young lad in the fifties but I do not understand why a Paul Witcher reel commands such a high price when to me personally the design is fundamentally flawed with the groove for the latch being on the inside of the pin and which to my mind weakens the whole assembly. I certainly would not like to accidentally drop one. Having said that, I would certainly consider paying out for an original double spoked Aerial. With regard to Dales question, there can be very few commodities like perceived top end centrepins which in recent years have given pleasure and satisfaction to the owner and have also increased substantially in value.

Top end is subjective but my opinion on that is that Witchers take some beating, Lythe is a close second and then Carter. Garry Mills makes some lovely reels too but if I had to rank them he’d just miss out on a podium. Our very own Worms could be a contender but he’s got to stump up a few first so perhaps future potential.

33 Witcher Aerials were made and at least two of them (mine and Chris Plumb’s) see regular service. Tigger uses his Avon Elite so that’s another Witcher getting grubby but the Aerial which recently sold for £1780 had sat in a cabinet all of its life. Chris Lythe makes 70 reels a year and has 270 back ordered (I know this because today I was pestering him for mine) so relatively speaking there’s a lot of them about but if it wasn’t for Mr Plumb and Tigger I’d never see another one on the river bank.

I think very few get used which is sad. The irony is that these reels are really well constructed and provided you look after them a lot of use isn’t going to detract from their value. Investors aren’t necessarily anglers though, they’ll just buy whatever gives them the best return.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back