Starting an Aquarium?

dave_h

i base my life on the god trebus "its not rubbish its possesions" :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

John S:

He will also advise you on compatibillity between various species - for eg, don't mix angel fish and neon tetras in the same tank.... :(

Do mix Oscars and goldfish/tetras/most any community fish though. You get such nice, large, fat Oscars that way. :)
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

oscars are great fish ,and forget that 3 second memory ,ours recognised me but not my mrs ,they used to knock on the glass cover when they wanted feeding ,unfortunatly i left the glass cover off one morning and one jumped out ,the other refused to eat and pined away ,it rejected a new playmate ( do you know how much ten inch oscars are )it died still refusing to eat a couple of weeks later :( the other one i sold on :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Newt:

Newt:

He will also advise you on compatibillity between various species - for eg, don't mix angel fish and neon tetras in the same tank.... :(

Do mix Oscars and goldfish/tetras/most any community fish though. You get such nice, large, fat Oscars that way. :)
I had a fish that I'd bought as a Blue Acara that turned out to be a fish called a Green Terror. As I bought it fairly young it was some time before I realised it wasn't what I thought and finally realised what had been happening to my disappearing fish. He went on to get quite large and was a very pretty fish, but never underestimate what a determined fish can eat. I bought 3 surface fish (can't remember what) of a size I was certain he wouldn't be able to handle and at a cost of £4 each - they lasted 40 minutes! Very expensive live food!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

I had a lovely fairly large silver shark in one of my many tanks which was a beutiful fish.

Had it for about 3 years and it even lived through 2 house moves.

Any way one day at work I had a phone call from the Missus "you have got to come home there is a mouse under the cupboard etc" after |I told her she was bonkers and that there wa no way I was coming home I put the phone down.

About 2/3 days later ( as I only fed every 2/3 days as my tanks were so established that there was plenty of food in there for them to scavenge for)I noticed that my shark was missing and searched all through the tank but could not see it I thought it must have popped its clogs and a couple of the cat fish have hoovered it up.

About 12 months later when I moved my tank yes you guessed it I found it under the cupboard it had jumped out of the tank and that was what my good lady had thought was a mouse!!!

The poor thing was struggling for life and my wife let it die!!!

Forgave her in about 6 months

So KEEP THE LID ON!!!!

Dave there is a very inexpensive way to get a marine set up and an easy way to start up the aquarium. The answer is native Marine IE: our stuff from around our coasts.. costs nothing to collect, when done right you don’t need all the expensive equipment like skimmers etc.

I’ve had a 350l set-up in the living room for nearly a year now, I’ve kept cod, whiting, coalies, haddock, grey gurnard, blennies, LSD, eelpout, Long spined sea scorpions and butter fish. Have a look at www.dholt.demon.co.uk/aqua.htm

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

i kept a couple of marine tanks ,unfortunatly in the garage were 30 odd tropical ones ,to combat the problem with the water getting to a unaturally high temp in the cold marine ones i begged a second hand beer chiller from the pub thouraghly cleaned it out and used it to keep the water at british sea temp rather than tropical :)

Davy Holt:

I've had a 350l set-up in the living room for nearly a year now, Ive kept cod, whiting, coalies, haddock, grey gurnard, blennies, LSD, eelpout, Long spined sea scorpions and butter fish. Have a look at www.dholt.demon.co.uk/aqua.htm

Link doesn't work - try this : http://www.dholt.demon.co.uk/aquarium/aqua.htm

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.