making it in angling

adsangling

Guest bluedun

Perhaps not knowing the difference between who and whom is a qualification? Or another file corruption. Having a good stock of cliches would be useful too. Don't say roach, say silvers. Ugh.

. Having a good stock of cliches would be useful too.

One of Jim Gibbinson's most hilarious pieces was advice to those that wanted to "make it" as carp angling writers.

It was titled "Basically, at the end of the day, this is what its all about"

...and amongst many useful tips (including how to make liberal use of clichés) was the advice that in the absence of photographs of carp, many carp magazine editors would accept photographs of the bare buttocks of a carp angler.

To quote Jim, "Quite why carp anglers chose to display their bare buttocks is not fully understood, but similar behaviour in baboons and chimpanzees is well documented."

IMHO one of the great snippets of angling literature.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I did a quick search due to your post and found this which anyone wanting to make a career in angling should read:

http://www.matthayes.tv/blog/index.php/making-it-in-angling-how-to-become-a-star-of-the-sport/

I don't really like his programmes but that link was a great read. However, I do wonder if he wrote it himself. If he's that busy, when does he find time to write like that, or is he so good at it that it is almost 'off the cuff'.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

You need the following attributes:

1. A very good and likeable personality.

2. To be very very good at your choosen type of angling be it specimen, sea, carp, match, game or an all rounder and I mean top of your game at all times on the bank.

3. To be able to write with creativity and style and to be able to present yourself on camera.

4. To be a very good sales and business person. You need to be able to sell your soul as well as your sponsers kit.

5. To have total commitment to your choosen path. That deadline is approaching fast!

6. Sacrifice as you will spend more time away from the bank and your family/friends than you think. Trade shows, tackle design, writing, filming etc will all eat up your time.

7. You will need some qualifications such as a degree in journalism and coaching badges.

You will at some point have to coach or act as a guide/gilley.

I think you will find that most who have made it have had to work very hard at it and have more than one job or run their own companies to fund themselves.

Goodluck.

Great Response

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell

Nick,

I like your answers - execpt "Second carp don't teach you a great deal". Your bias is showing. I lends credence to your last four words.

Adsan, The more you fish the luckier you will get - if you are paying attention.

Phone

Commercial carp fisheries in the UK don't teach you anything greatly useful about carp behavior to be honest, they do however teach you handling and how to play them, which I believe may be the only good thing commercials are for. ive also learned they can become spooked by a fart when they are least expecting it.

I spent about a year and a half fishing a carp fishery (I don't like to admit that) before heading out to catch some wild carp.

Totally different kettle of fish those wild ones. Behaviors are so much different, not like the suicidal ones in over stocked fisheries.

:)

• Like 1

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 3 months later...

starting doing youtube videos etc does anyone think this helps? :)

Be prepared for an absolue slagging on there unless the fish are spectacular and everything else is done to perfection - in the eyes of ALL your viewers!

One of Jim Gibbinson's most hilarious pieces was advice to those that wanted to "make it" as carp angling writers.

It was titled "Basically, at the end of the day, this is what its all about"

...and amongst many useful tips (including how to make liberal use of clichés) was the advice that in the absence of photographs of carp, many carp magazine editors would accept photographs of the bare buttocks of a carp angler.

To quote Jim, "Quite why carp anglers chose to display their bare buttocks is not fully understood, but similar behaviour in baboons and chimpanzees is well documented."

IMHO one of the great snippets of angling literature.

Don't suppose you have a link to this as an online article anywhere? Where did it originally appear?

starting doing youtube videos etc does anyone think this helps? :)

Youtube is a nasty place, hope you have thick skin! I don't think I've come across many videos where there aren't people throwing all kinds of abuse and insults around!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Don't suppose you have a link to this as an online article anywhere? Where did it originally appear?

Don't have a link, but it appeared in one of the carp magazines - I THINK it was Carp World. but can't be sure.

It was a long time ago - say 1970s or 80s - again I THINK.

Browsing through tatty old carp mags with time-worn loose pages, possibly in a ramshackle carp syndicate hut, would seem your best option.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - the article deserved to be in an anthology somewhere.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...