Any sign of spawning?

Steve Burke

The carp in my lake were spawning last week but that's 3-4 weeks late.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The carp have just started spawning in Cambridge this week at the lake I've been fishing. The bailif who lied and claimed he caught a 40lb pike claims it was carrying spawn which would mean the pike have probably just spawned as well but I don't think we can take his word with much certainty :-)

Down at Manor Farm in Biggleswade last week the Carp seemed to be spawning and it seemed to be affecting things as the fishing was very quiet. Some lads who fish there more often than me said they were weeks late this year because of the awful spring and it looks as if many will still be spawning when the season kicks back in (although on rivers it might be different). At Coots Corner in Hitchin the Bream were spawning too apparently...

Rudd (I think they were, could possibly have been roach though) were spawning on Tuesday in the margins, the water was almost boiling with them.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

There were plenty of fry on the Severn yesterday. They were tiny though like pins. They should be bigger than that at this time of year.

The river itself is running 20cm above summer level and carrying what my father would describe as "A tinge of colour".

If we don't have to much rain this week, the river should be in fine form for anyone visiting to target the barbel at the start of the season. It does look very different after a year of floods though so a lot of "banker" swims will have changed.

There is also very little streamer weed about this year.

I only managed to hook one brownie in my afternoon session which promptly came off and despite having a few pike and perch on the spinners, ended up moving onto a tributary where I ended up with half a dozen brownies and a few chub.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I asked in a local tackle shop this morning, they didn't know about spawning but apparently the tench have been acting normally this spring in the gravel pits and lakes, and have been active and feeding for a couple of months.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I will catch a tench this week - not caught a tench or carp for about 15 years. Mind you, I've only fished for them about three times in 20 years....

Maybe this is my prompt.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."