Car problems

Scott

My car is using vast amounts of water (radiator) and overheating after a few miles, I have changed the thermostat but still no use.

There is a large amount of steam/smoke comming from the exhaust.There are no water leaks from anywhere externaly.

Has my head gasket gone? If not any ideas?

Scott.

Take a look at your oil. Is it white?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Scott:

Scott, I had the same problem with my diesel van, it turned out to be a crack in the thingy that connects all the pipes and goes into the engine.

I could not detect where the leak was coming from as the water was evaperating/drying up when the engine was hot. There is a wooden hatch on the back of the van over the engine so we took that off and my mate layed down with his head in the engine while I was driving around until the water heated up enough to start boiling/leaking away :D

Where is AF when he is needed :P

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

Alan Taylor:

Scott, I had the same problem with my diesel van, it turned out to be a crack in the thingy that connects all the pipes and goes into the engine.

I could not detect where the leak was coming from as the water was evaperating/drying up when the engine was hot. There is a wooden hatch on the back of the van over the engine so we took that off and my mate layed down with his head in the engine while I was driving around until the water heated up enough to start boiling/leaking away :D

Where is AF when he is needed :P

Alan(nl)

ps and the writing? :rolleyes:

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Scott:

Sorry Alan, I have'nt forgotten,just been a bit busy.

Yes Elton the oil is more like cream.

Scott.

Likely to be head gasket, then. The white is caused by water getting in with the oil.

:(

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Sorry to say this

but it sounds like the head gasket has gone,

you didnt mention which kind of car you have,

Most cars now have alloy heads and you probably will need to get the head skimmed.

But depending on the warp in the head, if its been skimmed before, you may need a second hand head.

If your head does need skimmed and it can be, you should maybe think about fitting a set of valve stem oil seals when the head is off.

This cuts down, if not stops that little bit of smoke some cars have for the first few miles.

If you keep driving it you may crack or warp the head beyond use, and I have seen cars crack liners and engine blocks due to being kept driven when overheating resulting in needing an engine fitted

Don't Drive it as doing this will only cost you more money.

Hope it gets fixed quickly and cheaply ... and I hope it isnt a Rover or Renault

All cars are bloody bottomless money boxes aint they.

Happy Hookin'

Gary @ www.fishireland.info