Fixing a broken rod?

viney

One of my lovely in-laws has snapped the end off of one of my carp rods, I don't do enough carping now to replace it but I do enough that its an annoyance not having two for when I fancy sitting it out for an evening with them sat on alarms.

My first thought was to just use my maver barbel rod in its place but I hooked what could have only been a carp the other evening while float fishing for tench and perch with it and it just didn't have the power to stop it (the rod was bent double with the tip ring in line with my 'pin).

Is there a way to fix a carbon rod or am I just going to have to stump up for a new one?

Back to the maver rod, I'm slightly concerned to hook a large barbel in flowing water with it!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

I'm a long way from being an expert on repairing rods, but I'll usually have a go at fixing anything, (I think it's a generation thing).

It's probably going to depend on the break: is it clean or is it splintered?

I broke a favourite old float rod of mine (a clean break) and inserted a short spigot made from a cut down masonry nail in both sections, araldited it in and whipped over everything and it's been fine.

There may well be a better way. :D

Viney,

You don't say how much constitutes the "end". If it's 3 or 4 inches no problem. Take the broken piece with you to the tackle shop to get the proper diameter of a new tip ring.

Just to be safe - put it on with the proper heat glue - and then if you are suspect whip it on and epoxy.

Phone

It can be broken down further and still be repaired but then you will look like Phone when you are fishing.

What make is it ? Can you get another tip from the maker or maybe pick up another second hand

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Wotnobivvy- its a Ron Thompson, they don't seem to do it anymore its an older one, very nice rod though and I would rate it as good as my fox warrior rod.

Tigger its 1.5lb, I think half the problem was I only had 6lb line on whereas I would normally use 12 on that lake, the rod would have probably held up to more pressure but unfortunately the line didnt

Edited by viney

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88