New pond

MICK SMITH39

Mick,

I didn't look at any of them but if you Google "koi pond" you will get a little over 2 million hits. Sounds like you are "shot gunning" for a quick fix that in all likelihood won't happen. Get one "expert" in whom you have confidence and stick with them when you start your new pond, at least pond stock.

It's like baking a chocolate cake from 1000 recipes.

Phone

Mick,

I didn't look at any of them but if you Google "koi pond" you will get a little over 2 million hits. Sounds like you are "shot gunning" for a quick fix that in all likelihood won't happen. Get one "expert" in whom you have confidence and stick with them when you start your new pond, at least pond stock.

It's like baking a chocolate cake from 1000 recipes.

Phone Will do it now,Thanks

Obviously water changes may be problematic if you are trying to treat the pond at the same time - do it immediately before you add medication, not after.

Obviously water changes may be problematic if you are trying to treat the pond at the same time - do it immediately before you add medication, not after.

Thanks, To late, ive put another dose in and I thought I would give it 2 days then do a water change,then I was going to test the water again,and I was going to clean the filters out again,I have been on google "koi ponds",i have rung the koi place, I have asked questions on here and other forums,I just looked at them again and one of them especialy is covered in mucus,looks like it scales are lifting{dropsy)?Another one looks like his tail fin is rotting away.All I have been trying to find out is this FMG I have been putting in, is it a cure all,will it cure dropsy,will it cure fin rot ,will it cure parasites,should I leave it in for more than 2 days before I change the water,how long does it need to be in the water to work. someone must know.THANKS for your help

It's formaldehyde and malachite green. It is effective against fungal infections and has some effect on external bacterial and protozoan infections. It is capable of damaging the efficiency of filter systems. The formaldehyde is effective against some external parasites. I suspect that the fungal infections you have are secondary to bacterial infection. The fin rot is bacterial. If you've got dropsy, that's either a stonking big ulcer which is letting water into the fish faster than the kidneys can remove it, or an internal bacterial infection. If so, FMG is a bit like trying to treat septicaemia with Germolene.

You are more likely to have success with a product aimed at fin rot and ulcers, but to be honest I have never found treatment of internal bacterial infections or ulcers to have a high success rate. These infections are almost always the result of the living conditions of the fish, though - the bacteria which cause them are everywhere, it's only when fish are stressed that they succumb.

It's formaldehyde and malachite green. It is effective against fungal infections and has some effect on external bacterial and protozoan infections. It is capable of damaging the efficiency of filter systems. The formaldehyde is effective against some external parasites. I suspect that the fungal infections you have are secondary to bacterial infection. The fin rot is bacterial. If you've got dropsy, that's either a stonking big ulcer which is letting water into the fish faster than the kidneys can remove it, or an internal bacterial infection. If so, FMG is a bit like trying to treat septicaemia with Germolene.

You are more likely to have success with a product aimed at fin rot and ulcers, but to be honest I have never found treatment of internal bacterial infections or ulcers to have a high success rate. These infections are almost always the result of the living conditions of the fish, though - the bacteria which cause them are everywhere, it's only when fish are stressed that they succumb.

Thank you for your help

Hello ,Are you there Steve, I left the 2nd dose of FMG in for 2 days,then changed no more than 15% of the water,I have got a bad feeling that I have lost another one of the koi,goldfish cross ,aint seen him for two days,Hope you don't mind , but I would like some answers to a few things that have been bugging me,As it stands at the moment I have the two big koi which seem to be ok,they must weigh 24lb between them,one cross left which is about 2lb.the goldfish which is about half a pound,which was in a right state but looks a bit better now and a 5 inch koi that we put in a month ago with 3 small rudd,(I am blaming them for this) I did a ammonia and nitrite test again today they were both one up from perfect which is where I think they were when I first done the test. I have turned the uv filters back on cos the water is starting to go green again. This is one of the things I cant get my head round,they say that you need to have a pond system and let the good bacteria build up in the filter to kill of the bad stuff ,then you are told to clean out the filter regulary(which must kill of the good stuff )and you are back to square one again! And back home my pond was about 80 galls ,I had my koi (10.5lbs) the small goldfish,a shubunkin and one cross maybe two. My filter was a homemade job and none of this happened,I move down here build them a pond 12 times bigger and this happens,how bad do I feel! I have just added my home made filter to the system in desperation,hope I have not done a wrong un,.I would be grateful if you have any views.Thanks Mick

Be very careful about cleaning filters out. A well designed filter has separate functions for removing solid matter and for providing a substrate for filter bacteria to grow on. Say brushes or foam for the former and gravel or plastic rings for the latter. You ONLY want to clean out the solids removal media. A lot of filters use foam for both, which I don't really agree with, but if that is the case you must only over clean it out with pond water, never with chlorinated tap water. Just stick it in a bucket and squeeze it out.

I think for the stocking density you've got, you want your filtration to be top notch.

Adding another filter will do only good, by the way, so well done with that.