Does Mat Hayes smoke?

RUDD

"Wordbender - when smoking is banned (as it will be soon) which other minority will you turn on to vent your hate and anger? Drinkers? The Obese? The Unemployed?"

or maybe Anglers?

[ 22. April 2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by awaaar:

"Wordbender - when smoking is banned (as it will be soon) which other minority will you turn on to vent your hate and anger? Drinkers? The Obese? The Unemployed?" or maybe Anglers?

There's some fuzzy logic going-on here, guys.

There is no sensible argument to support smoking unless, when those smoking-related diseases arise, you toddle-off to your own desert island and die, rather than burdening the NHS with costs in excess of your contributions over the years.

Barbequed food is another source of carcinogens to avoid, if you're interested, and, as someone who actually did the scientific studies, avoid burnt toast too .... but then again, you don't care do you?

Alcohol, they say, is OK in moderation. I say ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is hepato-toxic i.e. wrecks quite an important organ, your liver.

Obesity falls into the same category i.e. of self-inflected health problems, but certainly not someone who's unemployed.

Maybe some alcohol's got in the way of some clear thinking

DG

[ 22. April 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I have been a non-smoker for about 7 years now, but I would defend a smokers right to smoke as it is THEIR prerogative. I think most (most NOT all) of the people who complain are ex smokers.

I don't care whether Matt smokes or not - he keeps it a very low profile if he does. If you saw a pack of cigarettes, you only saw them for a couple of seconds, and they could have been anybody's. (cameraman, Mick Brown's etc.) Give them a break - they don't care if we waste space debating whether they do or don't.

[ 22. April 2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Speaking as a smoker, I couldn't see any 'hate' in Wordbender's post at all. Smoking is dangerous and it stinks. End of story.

Dunno about D.G.'s analysis tho - if you factor in all of the pensions savings to The Treasury from smokers popping off earlier, I'd guess we smokers pay our way in pure economic terms? :D

But the true cost of alcoholism is hard to calculate eh? In pure money terms it probably doesn't come close to smoking, but smoking doesn't often lead to domestic abuse,violence,broken families, deaths on the road etc etc, and the 'cost' of those adds up in a way accountants can't measure.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Dear Smokers against smoking,

I agree 100% with Word benders views as I myself fell victim to passive smoking. Well, perhaps not me in person, but my beloved hamster Rusty died prematurely from passive smoking.

I also have a gripe with meals on wheels vans. One run over my Granny years back in Long Eaton on Tamworth Road. Mind you, she did smoke at one stage in her life.

Cars in scrap yards, I loathe them. One killed my best mate Billy Hunt by falling on his head. He smoked but stopped around 24 as it was bad for his health. Nice try.

I smoked, then didn't. Also smoked, and then stopped. Started smoking, now don't. I'm a Yo Yo smoker. Can't smoke, won't smoke, might smoke, fun smokin, dun smokin ASH member might do cowboy, if stress gets much worse. Smoked cigars and sucked on pipes. Done the draw and toked it up raw. Passed the puff, rolled the stuff and done hubbly bubbly in Morocco. I've squeezed it, I've wheezed it, and coughed till turned red. But when John Lennon said "choking smokers don't you think the joker laugh’s at you? I am the egg man, you are the egg man, coo coo ca choo!

Everything kind of made sense after then. So I turned to drink and LSD. Never looked back since.

Far out man.

Regards,

Cow Bell.

Bloomin heck,some one saw the Mattsters packet of snout what a fuss! Im sure he doesnt have one hanging out of his gob whilst filming as it aint politically correct.Fair play to him and the producers of his programes for setting a good example.I used to smoke over 60 a day havnt had one for nearly 15 years.My choice.Dont drink regularly but every now and then fancy one.My choice.Prefer to sit in a non smoking section when eating out.My choice.In fact I hate smoking now and also hate alcohols bad side but I will not support the "Ban it because I dont do it brigade" Everyone to his or her own.Agree that there should be seperate areas in public for both so that all can make their "own choice"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

David Johnson:

Wordbender - when smoking is banned (as it will be soon) which other minority will you turn on to vent your hate and anger?  Drinkers? The Obese? The Unemployed?

David, you don't know me, or what sort of person I am, yet you make sweeping judgements about my persecuting minorities through 'hate and anger'. I do nothing of the sort - and never would.

My anger is real, and my hatred is reserved for the tobacco companies that knowingly pushed, and still push, their addictive products in the full knowledge that they'll kill and maim countless thousands that use these products as designed.

I've seen friends and family die from using these products, and yes I was very, very angry, that a good person died because they couldn't stop sucking cancerous smoke from a paper tube. Of COURSE I'm bl00dy angry - how would you expect me to feel?

Where did you get the idea that, should smoking be banned, I'd 'vent my anger and hatred' on some minority or other? Have these minorities killed my friends and family? Do these minorities seek the right to forcibly involve me in their, largely unwanted, habits? No. Then they're safe from me until they do. And I'll treat the 'anglers?' inference with the contempt it deserves.

Your persecution complex didn't come from me, David. I specifically detest smoking for what IT does and I particularly object to being affected by by its fallout.

As a Romani Gypsy and also an appointed spokesman for the shooting sports, I know all about prejudice and the unfair persecution of minorities, thanks, and I am a sworn enemy of both. Your accusations are unfair and unfounded, David, and I strongly resent them.

The next time you retreat behind the barricade of victim status, mate - make sure it isn't YOU that's the villain of the piece.

I await your justification or your apology.

Terry

[ 23. April 2004, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Wordbender ]

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I think to have turned this tongue in cheek thread into a minority issue is irresponsible David.

I share Terry's views on smoking 100%. To a non smoker tobacco stench is probably akin to dog sh*t as a repulsive smell. A trip to the pub means hair that reeks, cloths that stink, eyes that water, health at risk and why? Because other thoughtless, and quite possibly selfish individuals are exercising their freedom to smoke.

No one likes to see water polluted, so why pollute the air that we breath? Water is to fish as air is to humans.

I firmly believe that smokers should have the right to smoke. Equally I believe non smokers should have a right to clean air.

Smokers force their pollution onto me, in return I am now forcing my opinion onto them :D .

Playing the minority card is not relevant. At one time non smokers were the minority group, and I don't remember them ever playing that boring old minority kick, as I said, it is not relevant.

[ 23. April 2004, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]