matt hayes or john wilson

deanbmw

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All,

What about a coconut for the biggest name dropper??

Anyway. Here's a name to cogitate with;

Edward Seamus Does-Worthing.

Apparently, he's never even heard of "fenboy" or the other blokes listed in this thread. But he is without doubt the greatest angler alive today. A very funny man to boot who can tell unheard jokes all day long. Edward is our local dustman with a spooky resemblance to Lord Lucan.

Personally, how anyone can list pike anglers as angling greats is beyond me. They are the easiest to catch there is!!! Carp? Now there's a crafty clever fish. As for the anglers that fish for them? Gods. Pure Gods. They invented the deadbait you know. You can’t get much deader than a dead boilee. And pike anglers can't catch pike on boilees but carp anglers "CAN".

Regards,

Lee.

David,

Try Ebay, plenty of DVD's etc. on there.

Paul

Lee, it is on public record that Derrick Amies has had carp to over 40 pounds and roach to over 3 pounds. Dennis Pye caught rudd to over three pounds, probably for livebait though! Martin Gay once held the carp record. Even Nev Fickling has caught some cracking carp.

I'm not claiming to be in anywhere near the same league as the above, but even as a self confessed Pike Angler yours truly has had river bream to over twelve pounds, dace to over 1 pound and perch to over four pounds. As for carp the blasted things on my local broad are so dopy I can row over to them and catch them in my landing net!! I can even hand feed them with bread, stupid creatures!! Where's the challenge in that for heavens sakes

[ 18. February 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I think that the true bench mark for a "great angler" is that he is an allrounder.Also a truely great angler is on the scene for a long time.I could name many people who were hailed as great anglers for a short period of time but soon disapeared of the scene (high profile any way)My only critisism of J.Wilson is that he does come across as a bit surly with his guides! he is undoubtedly an acomplished allround angler though and was on the scene long before his TV fame.As Fenboy says though dont confuse being known through the TV as a be all and end all.I am sure there are many other just as acomplished allrounders out there who are not known as they dont apear on the box! Oh remember that Wilson and Clegg rerun the classic Walker/Sallis series of matchs.Wilson won those as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Lee, sorry if I appeared to be name-dropping. Even more sorry if it offended you... I thought it was valid to the debate. Perhaps my views would have more credence if I didn't know anything about any of the anglers being debated?

But I would have thought that if you're going to get involved in discussing the claims to fame of the top anglers, it is an advantage to have fished with them.

If you were to discuss who the greatest-ever footballer is/was it would be pretty if you had never seen them play, don't you think?

And the reason I started with pike anglers was because the debate had moved on to whether Derrick Amies was/is a better piker than Neville Fickling.

Re-read my posting and you'll see that I rated Walker as the No1 Great, with the late Peter Stone as No2. I think Walker was a bit of carp angler in his day, so maybe you approve of him?

Must dash... got to catch a plane to Hollywood.

Fenboy

Dear Peter,

Carp anglers catch thirties, fourties and fifties like they are going out of fashion. Surely these anglers are the true God's of fishing?

Nev catches his carp or so I'm told from Neddy Seagulls and Church Wilne where the carp are let out to play for two hours each day. The big common at Church Wilne has been caught by Nev and his buddies lots of times.

However, pike man Dave Lumb is a cracking angler and would be dangerous if he ever learned how to shave. Thats a joke by the way.

But back to the topic.

Interesting this bit. If say John Wilson or maybe Matt Hayes went and sat in our butchers for four hours on a Saturday morning, some might ask for their autographs after recognising them off the telly. By the same token, would this recognising make them better anglers if say an un-recognised Fred J Taylor sat in the same butchers shop? Course not.

But there must be something in the fact that John and Matt were recognised for who they were whilst the best the customers could remark about Fred was; "And I'll have four thick slices of the fat bloke sat in the corner".

Not all about fishing to the great unwashed in the end is it? Dick Walker? Wasn't he that East End boxer who advertised shaving lotion?

Regards,

Lee.

Dear Fenboy,

Do you like boilees?

The coconut goes to you. So does the dead wombat trophy for being miffed at winning it. Just can't please some contestant's.

Off to Hollywood is it? I've got Bob Redford and his wife staying with me at the moment. But don't tell anyone will you.

Regards,

Lee.