matt hayes or john wilson

deanbmw

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have to differentiate between the best angler on the short list, and the angler with the most influence.

I think most of us above a certain age, and many younger anglers too, will agree that Dick Walker was the most influencial. It was Walker who showed that specimen fish weren't "the fish of a lifetime", but could be caught both deliberately and on a regular basis. This was absolutely revolutionary at the time!

Walker also showed he was a fine angler too. Not only did he smash the then carp record out of sight, raising it from 31-04 to 44lbs in one go, but he also broke the rainbow trout record as well, and for good measure caught a record dace of 1-05 from the Cam on a fly. This was never claimed. Does anyone know if this was because it was caught out of season?

In the specimen competition run by Angling Times, points were given for the best ten fish of the season of various species. It was open to any angling club rather than individuals, and it was widely expected that Christchurch would win. In the event Walker's club, Hitchin, walked it by a mile!

Walker was also challenged to a series of matches against the winner of the All-England. The latter couldn't make it so Tom Sails, the captain of the winning Lincoln team was drafted in instead.

Sails chose the venue for the first match and predictably won. Walker cheekily choose the River Bain in Lincolnshire for the second match, and narrowly beat Sails off his local patch.

The final match was on a neutral venue chosen by Angling Times, that neither had fished at the time. It took place on the Hampshire Avon, and Walker won a big margin that included a double figure barbel!

The matches

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

What about Rex Hunt?...lol

Surely he got a mention somewhere.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I like to watch John Wilson or Matt Hayes on the telly they are both entertaining (even if the content of the programs is aimed at the mass market and therefore rather lightweight). However, neither their TV programmes nor their writing have a fraction of the impact of words written by Walker 25 years or more ago.

I re-read Stillwater Angling yet again two weeks ago and the genius of Walker is still plain to see. I would have loved the opportunity to fish with or even speak to the man.

These days popularity and/or fame seem to be confused for ability.

Innovators and/or innovations are coming in thick and fast nowadays. Look at the likes of Peter Drennan to name but one.

Walker has to be the best though for me. Just the introduction to 'Stillwater Angling' does it for me.

Paul

Paul_D:

Walker has to be the best though for me. Just the introduction to 'Stillwater Angling' does it for me.

Hear, hear! That introduction had a huge influence on my fishing, and I suspect on lots of others too.

All his books are worth getting, but you'll learn more from "Still-water Angling" and, in particular, "Catching Fish" than any others.

On the other hand. "Drop Me a Line" is very entertaining and will show just how innovative Walker had to be at a time when carp were considered almost uncatchable and there was almost no suitable tackle available.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net