matt hayes or john wilson

deanbmw

[

Walker also showed he was a fine angler too. Not only did he smash the then carp record out of sight, raising it from 31-04 to 44lbs in one go, but he also broke the rainbow trout record as well, and for good measure caught a record dace of 1-05 from the Cam on a fly. This was never claimed. Does anyone know if this was because it was caught out of season?

Steve.

Dick Walker never formaly applied for any record and even wanted his record carp taken off the list. This was because the record fish committee would not accept his rainbow of eighteen and a quater pounds because he had not formally applied for it. This to him was illogical and wrote to the committee

"I therefore ask that the committee should reconsider its decision to retain the fish as the official record, and to accede to my request for it to be deleted from the record list"

Taken from Angling May 1981

Good fishing,

Keith.

[ 17. February 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Keith Banks ]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please let me explain a misunderstanding. I totally (now I sound like Matt Hayes) agree that as far as influence in the angling world, there has yet to be ANYONE to eclipse Dick Walker.

My comments are about anglers that are alive today and making an influence on anglers as a whole.

Posted Image

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

David as far as i remember he presented the show out of town by himself,I only remember him being a co presenter on a program called How.

unless someone on here has a better memory?

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

bloody hell what a responce...as im a angler back to the sport after 10 years and watchin every fishin program(apart from fishin australia) :confused: i can i think Matt gets it for me he explanes things better and makes ya want to get out there and have a go ya self.

whilst wilsons entertaining enough i was watching one episode of go fishing (as i am now)when he cast out for a carp...the float was green and red.

"Yes were in.wow what a klonker off my first cast"

as he landed the fish the float was black and orange...UUMMM

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

john wilson deserves no.1 he is a great angler. yet matt hayes is good too but he is like the david beckham of fishing. he gets a lot of publicity but isn't as good as he seems.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

i think that a lot of people are confusing being a good tv presenter with being a good angler. bob nudd would obviously be tops in the match fishing because of his extraordinary record, but neither matt hayes or john wilson have a record in the big fish world comparable with bob nudds in math fishing, or dick walkers record in angling. no way could either wilson or matt hayes be classed as the best angler ever, in my humble opinion.

Posted Image

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Before my dear old gran passed away, aged almost 100, she used to have surreal but amusing conversations in which she mixed up real people with characters from Crossroads and Coronation Street.

That could be attributed to getting a bit old and confused. I loved her all the more for it.

But you don't expect the same sort of nonsense from much younger people on an angling forum. For heaven's sake, you don't judge someone's contribution to angling from television appearances!!!

Matt Hayes? Good all-rounder. Nice bloke, I'm sure. Even if he does start every sentence with "I'll tell you what, folks...."

John Wilson? Cracking angler. Showed how to make TV programmes. Giggles grate on you, but I watch him all the same.

But being on telly doesn't make you a great angler. It means you are on telly.

I thought the object of this thread was to determine the No1 angler ever, not the most famous. Is that such a difficult concept to grasp?

Come back, gran, all is forgiven...

Fenboy