does anyone know of these venues...?

PW910

If people won't talk etc then how does anyone ever know where to fish certain areas. I was told these places are day tickets. Well I know Bury Hill is.

I was once told a bloke sent a picture into anglers mail or anglers time cos he caught a huge Barbel from a certain stretch of river, then they binned him from the club for sending the pic in!

The problem is, when someone catches a large fish and goes public with it the glory hunters will do anything they can to catch that fish at a higher weight. The end result is a circus of bivvys on the stretch/lake the fish was caught from and massive pressure on the fish. A lot of clubs have a publicity ban to stop this happening and I can perfectly understand it, how would you feel if you caught a 40lb pike and put a pic in the weekly rag and 2 weeks later it was washed up dead through being chased by 'fishermen' only out for the glory?

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

That's is very sad that's the way fishing goes! I didn't know that otherwise I wouldn't people on her asking where to fish!

It is unfortunate but that's is human nature I guess, the internet is not a private place, talking to anglers on the bank and going out and fishing will provide you with far more. For example I was recently fishing a local weirpool that is well known to hold very large barbel and carp, information on 'hotspots' bait etc. is pretty much non existent on the net yet a quick chat with 2 other anglers and I had more info than months of searching the internet. These anglers most certainly wouldn't have put that on the internet for all to see but face to face most are more than happy to give a few pointers.

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

y?

is there a specific reason pike anglers are reluctant to say where they fish?

is it a secret thing? are you wearing pink mankini's and luring the pike out with bagpipes or something??

Edited by kirisute

y?

is there a specific reason pike anglers are reluctant to say where they fish?

is it a secret thing? are you wearing pink mankini's and luring the pike out with bagpipes or something??

It's not about the angler kiri, it's about the fish. Although the pike has a ferocious reputation, it's physical make up, and the way it feeds makes it more prone to damage from bad handling, and unhooking. It also suffers greatly from too much pressure, such as over fishing. A good fishery needs a good predator/prey balance, the loss of a few pike can cause a lot of damage to that balance, in the short/medium term anyway.

That's a problem with the carp oriented anglers of today, the carp can handle a fair bit of mishandling, plus the loss of a few can have a positive effect on most fisheries, not so with pike.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As a rider to my last post, and disregarding the effect angling pressure on fish, I have experience the effect on the owners of the fisheries from over fishing.

Over the years we have had permission to fish several 'off the beaten track' waters, with no more than just having to ask. We built up a good relationship with most of the landowners, and even became friends with some. If we were there and the owners needed help, then we gave it. We even supplied the young son of one family with most of his tackle, and gave him tuition. We always kept the knowledge of these waters to a select few, and didn't over do our visits. In every case the locations got out, usually through a betrayal of trust. The problems got so bad, with dozens turning up, parking in stupid places, leaving gates open, leaving litter etc, that the landowners had to put a complete ban on fishing. I can think of at least five waters that were lost this way, and I don't blame anyone for keeping a place a secret, anymore. The anglers had only themselves to blame, but others suffered because of their stupidity and disregard for other peoples property.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think John sums it up nicely the reason why Pike anglers tend to keep knowledge to them selves and with only the odd mention of Carp :-)

Good Pike waters tend to only stay good Pike waters for a while and these days they seem to deteriorate even quicker :-(

PW, the best way to find out is try the waters yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Pretty much summed up by the lads I think. Pike just cant handle fishing pressure (ie being caught repeatedly) like carp can. Simple as that. Also sadly (and those who know me will know this isn't meant in a vindictive way) many pike anglers are very poor pike anglers and its these that both do the damage and unfortunately are often the ones that do ask "Where can I pike fish". Also there are now many people in this country who not only regard taking course fish (especially Pike and Carp) for the table as normal BUT also make money from it.

Now if we knew the person asking then we would to a degree share information but not only in this case do we not know the guy who asked BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY have no idea about the (potentially) many other thousands just looking in.

Nothing to do with being selfish (ask any competent piker the score and he will gladly take you out and show you) or "keeping the glory" to your self merely about protecting both the pike themselves, your pike fishing AND the other people who fish that waters piking to!

You specifically asked about a day ticket water that is know for predator fishing so it can be argued that its to late! and judging by the state of the pred fishing there it probably is! Like the other fella said get of your arse and do the work yourself and not only will you enjoy it more but also end up with some far better fishing......then be VERY carefull who you share that information with else you will have to learn your lesson the hard way as many of us have done.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!