Lost my mojo

Sportsman

There seems to be a lot of it about recently!

I was the same over the spring and summer, the only thing that I found interesting was a bit of floater fishing for carp. The passion returned in a big way in the autumn with the reservoir zander fishing, and at the moment I'm in another lull waiting to see what kind of winter I can expect. What I do next will depend on conditions, and might be roach, chub or perch. I tend to go through a series of fairly intense mini campaigns interspersed with periods of little or no fishing at all, and these can sometimes be quite long.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Find a little river somewhere and rekindle your love of catching tidlers - maybe a job for one of your fly rods.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I get the feeling that this happens to everyone at some point. whether its fishing or any other "hobby". up until a year or so ago I'd been away from fishing for years.

Kids,work and just being generally busy with getting on with life meant that every trip out had to planned well in advance and of course on the chosen day it would be blowing a gale/snowing or raining so hard you could drown on the bank.

All I can say is never force yourself to do something you would normally enjoy otherwise you will end up hating it! take a break. you will probably inching to get back out there before you know it! and if not,well it's only fishing. ;)

Don't be afraid to experiment, It just might work!

Not good - has anyone else realised how many people who are regular / frequent posters on here, and play a significant part in these forums, are holding up their collective hands and saying 'I'm no longer interested / can't be bothered / not been out / don't plan to be out' etc ... most of whom seem to have access to great waters that would be the envy of many?

For me, a change if scene and more importantly a change in method is the key to keeping it interesting. Doing the same thing all the time does get boring eventually.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not good - has anyone else realised how many people who are regular / frequent posters on here, and play a significant part in these forums, are holding up their collective hands and saying 'I'm no longer interested / can't be bothered / not been out / don't plan to be out' etc ... most of whom seem to have access to great waters that would be the envy of many?

My thoughts exactly, philo. I've found a fresh approach can work wonders, though. Sick of carrying a tackle shop to the bankside, I've stripped back the gear I carry to a minimum and simply gone fishin' without set goals or expectations, just to have fun.

Shedding the physical baggage and the mental pressure of meeting your own targets frees up the mind and lets the enjoyment back in.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

The thing I've found so absorbing and addictive about the zander lure fishing is that it's fun. I've got no chance of a monster or even a PB, but that makes no difference. It's different in every way to all the other fishing I do, like a massive breath of fresh air. It reminded me of what going fishing should feel like.

• Like 1

Perhaps this might help to solve the mystery. I gave up smoking and couldn't face sitting on the bank all day without a fag. I'm over it now thank heaven

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24756311

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Good point and I think for me maybe this is part way the answer. For the past couple of seasons Ive struggled to find new challenges (be it new fish,methods or venues) Seem to have got to the "Been there and done it" stage and cant find anything new to "Go there and do it"! Well not something to motivate me to the same extent at least. Practically all my fishing at the moment is "easy fishing" easy in that very little effort is required! When Im going Im certainly enjoying it, but it doesnt seem to matter if the trip is a flop or a sucsess Im still struggling to motivate to get out again.

Went through a bit of a similar stage to Anderoo a few seasons back with the "mini campaign" thing.

Dont think having to deal with fishing related stuff every hour of the day helps.Rather than firing me up like it used to it actually seems to put me off!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Had a massive blank in the summer on a long stay catfishing trip which really put me off, I was philosophical about it but it almost makes me worried to go again incase the same thing happens...I wasn't expecting to catch a monster at all but it's really loaded the pressure on now.

No stillwaters near me that are any good for piking either so once the rivers are up and ruined I lose the plot with fishing slightly. Really wanted to get geared up and fish the river loads this season as deep down I do love it but the odds just seem to be stacked against me what with floods, people taking fish out, otters and a decline in the quality of the fishing it all seems rather bleak :(

I'm off to a Stillwater to try and catch some big perch at the weekend though and I'm hoping it might rekindle some love towards angling again!