PRINTER HELP NEEDED

seph

I shall be looking for a new printer in the next week or so, as I my faithfull Espon Stylus Colour 480 has just about given up for the last time. I use it mainly for printing letters and labels and occasionally the odd photo. i don't want to spend money on a photo printer as I rarely print them and if I have something big to print I will take it to Asda and let them do it. So any suggestions on a good office printer up to a £100.

Seph

Paul

We've got the Epson Color 880 and its a pretty good printer, nice quality pictures and more than capable for the job you describe cost us £70 just over a year ago , so should get it for less now

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I have an 880 too but it is discontinued already. The C70 or similar is good but the thing you need to watch out for is the price of replacement cartridges. I can get a five pack of both colour and black for my 880 for less than £20. The C series are nearly that much for one of each. Have a look at web page for an idea of prices before deciding on the printer itself. Also avoid cartridges that use smart chips in them, you cannot refill them yourself.

quote:

Also avoid cartridges that use smart chips in them, you cannot refill them yourself

ooooohh yes you can :D

iv always had epson since the fx80 never had a problem even an epson laser printer was ok ,i have an hp laserjet6mp now as it was in a skip but billy has my epson 600 now iv got a epson photo one :)

[ 27. August 2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

quote:

Chucked my Lexmark Z25 in the skip and some b*gger laughed and chucked it back!

it was me youd taken the valuable bit out...........the fuse :D (3 amp i hope)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Lexmark??

I got a free Z34 with my system last year. It kept telling me one of the ink cartridges needed replacing? I stopped the warning notice. Guess what? The cartridge went on working for months!!! When I started replacing the used up cartridges that were in me recycle bin, and clicked on `new cartridge`. They also worked for weeks!!

According to my local store manager,(who sells me B&W cartridges for £14) many other manufacturers are into the same scam!! You get a warning notice about the ink levels, way in front of the actual death of the ink. Sometimes in excess of several hundred pages.

Now that`s not nice?

Paul.

As I don`t use colour printing for anything more than the odd `sample` image of pics. Lexmark is as good as any other cheap printer. Can`t grumble when its` free?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Seph - you might enjoy one of the multi-function devices. Mine will scan, copy, and print. Not the worlds greatest color printer by any means but good enough for my needs and I really like having the copy/scan built into the same device.

I paid well under your price for the one I have now. It's a Lexmark (which some folks seem not to like) and has given us good service. The X-75M lists for around $80 but you can find it discounted some if you look around.

The HP 1210 all-in-one is listed at around $100 US so probably available in the UK for somewhere in the price range you want.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks everybody although I am still none the wiser. I know one thing though which I forgot to mention. I will not have a Lexmark, as the price of cartridges for them are too steep. I was in the shop the other day and saw a Lexmark for sale (cannot remember the model, but it was only about 30 quid). The chap came over and I said "could you tell me the price of replacement cartridges"-well what a shock, to replace the cartridges you could have nearly bought 2 printers that have the cartridges with them. It seems to me that HP are similar, they give the printers away then charge the earth for cartridges. Don't make sense to me. I have had Epson's ever since I have had a computer so I may stick with them, but I have a friend who has had 2 and had to bin both. I also saw a Samsung laser printer that looked ok the other day aswell. Oh well who knows what I will end up with.

Seph

Paul

PC Plus has a big review this month and they recommend the following :-

Best value - Canon i320 (£49)

Best performer - HP Deskjet 5150 (£89)

Editors Choice - Canon i850 (£151)

i320 - extremely good quality print for the price & faster than it claims, cheapish running costs.

HP 5150 - fastest print, draft mode exceptional quality. Good photo quality and cheaper to run than cheaper printers in range. Bit noisy though.

i850 - extremely fast, cheap print cost, superb photo printing, "expensive but worth every penny" (their description).

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.