Rod guide replacement help

Adam247

Hi guys thinking of getting one of my rods guides replaced to make it more personalised , thinking of getting the microwave guide system as it's a spinning rod I have in mind , any advice on cost or who I could take it to to have it done ? If it can be done even ?

Edited by Adam247

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

I assume you're talking about simply replacing the butt ring with one of these new Microwave guides? Actual replacement should apparently be no different to replacing the existing butt ring with any other 'normal' one, and well within the capabilities of anyone who routinely does rod repairs ... it's not exactly rocket science, and is a job that many anglers will do themselves.

If you DO want to pay someone else to do it, I'd suggest enquiring at your local tackle shop to see if they can recommend someone local to you who will do the job (otherwise, having to ship a rod section in both directions is going to get silly-expensive, compared to the cost of the actual replacement, which should be no more than a few pounds).

That said, unless you can find a source for the ring in the UK, I'm guessing that the ring alone is going to set you back about $30 plus shipping etc from the UK.

Put all those costs together, and you can likely buy yourself a nice new lure rod! :doh:

Hmmm :g: Maybe you're actually thinking about replacing all of the guides, which would be a much more expensive proposition? I think the logic behind this latest (American) thinking is that the large butt ring (which incorporates a smaller step- down ring) leads to a second smaller guide, then all that follow are the same size (but much smaller) right through to the tip?

At the sort of cost involved for someone else to do the job, PLUS source and import the full set of rings, I'd personnaly advise forgetting about it, unless the rod in question is already built on a spectacularly good blank that is worthy of such work and cost?

Edited by philocalist

Interesting - But I suspect that it'll play hell with casting distance.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken

says in the blurb gives you a longer cast and reduces wind knots

Interesting - But I suspect that it'll play hell with casting distance.

some pics of twirling line through conventional rings and then the microwave system are shown, less twirl through the microwave. who knows may catch on over here

Klaus

Did a lot of testing/fiddling with different guide setups years ago. OK, not with mamby pamby spinning rods, but with powerful beach rods and carp rods. Even made the butt ring like a funnel of rings, tried using only a couple of rings and generally most combinations of different setups.

Distances either did not improve or as in the case of the cone of rings (similar to the micro ones) actually severely restricted the distance. With a lot of experience with the tackle used, I was able to feel the resistance caused by the small butt ring.

Not sure about patenting the idea though, the idea is pretty old hat :)

Den

Edit.. for what it's worth, the most success was with rings that stood off the rod, "inline" with the spool centre. Not very practical for a real fishing rod. I have replaced the butt ring on my beach rods with a high standoff folding ring, the line can be seen to pass through pretty well central without much of an angle which causes friction...................I can feel the difference as well when casting,

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

@ Ken: that was my thought too, yet increased casting distance is one of the apparent vitues of this new 'system'. That said, if you take note during the video, there is also mention of 'elevating' the cast, and using less effort to cast too, so who knows? :-)

One aspect of it - well two, really - that might be of more enduring interest would be whether this system really does significantly cut down on the noise created by the passage of braid through the rings during casting, and how effective the system really is as eliminating the problem of wind-knots, which often goes hand-in-hand with using the finer braids.

Ive not had any practical experience with actually using (fishing/casting as opposed to putting on rods) so cant comment. As Den says for years and years the tournament casting world has played with different set ups (especially for fixed spool reels due to the "coil" effect) When I was right into it (80's) the two main trains of thought were having just three or four over sized rings (as Den says in line with the spool) to either allow the coils to pass through or "break them down" gradually. The other was to have quite a few small ring and to replace the butt ring with a "bazooka tube" This was basicly a funnel shape whipped on the rod. The idea being to break the coils down as quick as possible. As Den says it seems that the 3 or 4 over sized rings have won. That said though I believe the Microwave system was developed with braid in mind?

For putting the rings on yourself do a search on here as Im sure my self,Dave (Sportsman) or Rusty have already done a photo strip type reply on re whipping rods. Or if your local to me (Ashford, Kent) Im more than happy to show you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!