bleedin ell, we're all doomed. North Atlantic Drift shutting down

Pugs

maidstonemike:

Pugs, your link was only to another forum, and it was only a laymans opinion, not scientific fact. shouldn't worry just yet. There are lots of doom and gloom merchants out there.

Mine wasn't!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big_cod - some of this is assumptions but those are mainly how much fresh water it will take to change or completely shut off the Oceanic Conveyor Belt. I don't see much in the current literature questioning If that could happen. Take a look at the picture from that link and imagine what would happen if the water did not get more dense and sink shortly after making the turn down and south after passing the UK.

The really scary part is evidence (see Leon's link) to how fast this has happened in the past and those times were without whatever help people are giving to global warming these days.

The North Atlantic Drift (NAD) would have a very quick and very drastic effect on the climate in the UK and because it is so shallow to begin with, it could certainly be altered in a matter of a year or two from whenever conditions reach some critical point.

I'm usually a pretty sceptical person and like most of us, have seen the 'gloom and doom' predictions come and go with nothing much happening. Problem with this whole climate thing is we have gone from a few radicals spouting horror tales to more and more scientific evidence indicating that they weren't such radicals after all.

Dunno if I'll see it but I'm mortally certain that my children will. 2-3 years ago I thought that if it did happen, it would be my grandchildren who were affected.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Let's face it, Global warming is here now and the effects will only increase. Whether it is man made or a natural phenomenom is now irelevant. We need to look at how we are going to cope with it.

I too, am a sceptic and take the normal doom and predictions with a pinch of salt

I am sat at home having cancelled today and the next few days fishing, because of the threatened 70 mile an hour winds, which wouldn't normally arrive untill the Autumn equinox. Every country in the World has experienced freak weather conditions.

There's little point in Blair and cronies paying lip service to the press about reducing emmissions because our CO2 emissions have actually gone up since joining the Kyoto agreement.

Can we say to the Chinese that they aren't allowed fridges and cars etc because it will cause polution, after the Chinese will be the Indonesions.

I personally think that we need to change our whole way of thinking. Goods are now designed with a built in obsolescence. It can't be environmentally right to build a car to last 10 years, when the technology is there to make one that will last 50 years with a stainless chassis and exhaust etc.

Designing something to last will cause job losses but not as many as will happen when the Atlantic conveyor switches off.

The guy who first suggested that parts of the world could cool quickly was a scientist studying Beatles in a Cliff face, He found that the Beatles went from a warm blooded species to a cold blooded species in just 10 years. The experts laughed at him, but this has now been confirmed by taking ice samples going back 150,000 years, and also reading growth lines in fossilised Oak trees.

The atlantic conveyor will switch off again, it could be next year or 100 years but careful planning is needed to reduce the effects that it will have.

I don't like the thought of fishing among ice bergs, it reminds me to much of this years Oban trip :D:D

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Ian Burrett:

careful planning is needed to reduce the effects that it will have.

Cities and communities that have developed in traditionally cold areas, have been designed to survive there.

In the UK, our sewage and water pipes are just below the surface, our infrastructure simply isn't designed to cope with the kind of conditions that could result from a sudden 'cooling' (deep freezing!).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Guest jay_con

If That is the case bc the overfishing argument is lost and so why shouldnt there be loads more trawlers? If there is lots of cod in the sea, quota's would be increased and the trawlermen would be within the law to catch them.

Given that the sea may well be frozen or at best full of icebergs I feel the fleet would have to lay up for a large part of the year.

Having said that Im a big believer of the overfishing theory and feel that dropping sea temps would not necaseerily mean the return of cod.

big_cod:

Cod galore once again or so they tell me, cold weather loads of cod loads more trawlers oh hell we are back where we started.

don't know about that: Cod like cold water'ish but not what we are talking about, read carefully what Leon's link says.

yes, Cod are around Norway etc but not in the artic in winter, in totally frozen seas...Why? I don't know but I've been to the tip of Norway at 71 north and met the locals and they laughted when i asked if i could catch cod from the shore (besides which i tried and my line froze...solid). 71 degrees north is a damn site further north than the trips which are advertised for fishing for cod in Norway and if the NAD stops we WILL be on a par with artic temps and hence no Cod.

Or have i got it wrong?

Besides if the NAD shuts down, currents change and fishing and the fish will be totally ecked up

[ 25. August 2005, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Pugs ]

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

Maybe not

"But Prof Emanuel believes that the greater mixing of warm water in the tropics could have the opposite effect - speeding up the currents and driving more warm water north.

Although there is no connection between his research and recent observations in Iceland, temperatures in the North Atlantic have risen notably as as a direct result of a strong current flow pushing farther north."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/st...1556741,00.html

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member