Virus attack

I have just last week got rid of AVG as it let 2 through and I felt that I didn't trust it any longer, so went out and bought Norton again. I never had any trouble on my system when I used it before, so I've gone back to it. It is just a personall thing I think as to which A.V. soft-ware you use. There does though seem to be a rash of virus about at the moment, I picked one up from where I don't know but using the link that Newt kindly gave us I did a scan and identified it, Ad-aware told me I had it also, but you know AVG didn't find it even after I had done an up-date,and full system scan, so thats why I went back to Norton. That found it on it's first full scan and deleted it auto-matically, thank goodness.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do some looking around and see if I can locate a reliable product that does 'silent clean/delete'. [/QB]

Try MAILWASHER not perfect but does sort out the wheat from the chaff!! And if you use the DNS logs it will allways pick up the spam which has already been picked up. It also now does Virus's as well!!

chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

bushwacker:

I have just last week got rid of AVG as it let 2 through and I felt that I didn't trust it any longer, so went out and bought Norton again.  I never had any trouble on my system when I used it before, so I've gone back to it.  It is just a personall thing I think as to which A.V. soft-ware you use.  There does though seem to be a rash of virus about at the moment, I picked one up from where I don't know but using the link that Newt kindly gave us I did a scan and identified it, Ad-aware told me I had it also, but you know AVG didn't find it even after I had done an up-date,and full system scan, so thats why I went back to Norton.  That found it on it's first full scan and deleted it auto-matically, thank goodness.

The ONLY way it would miss anything is because you didn't update it I'll be bound!! I have mine to check every AM at 0300 and I just leave the PC on and logged in!! Gets em every time!!

By the way I'm on NTL and I don't get half the bother you all seem to get!! But I'm on dial up as well!! Not cable. But I am on BB for connection.

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I usually get 3 or 4 emails with attachments each day (yeah right, as if I'm going to open them!). They simply get deleted along with the 20+ spam messages I also receive each day :( During the height of the last big virus attack, I was downloading over a dozen each day!

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Chris,

I updated EVERY day without fail and it let them in. I don't know why it didn't catch them, but if it didn't find them or catch them, then I don't trust it as much as I did before hand.

Could it just be a problem with broadband and cable I don't know, I just wish that I didn't get the problems that I'm getting at the moment. I think that I will end up talking to the ntl tech people to try to sort some of it out. I still can't down load my emails so I don't know where to start looking at the minute. :mad: :mad:

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Sorry mate! didn't put brain in gear before reading rest of you mail. Well it was a bit late?! But I have to say that I have not had a virus on my system since installing AVG. In fact(I know I shouldn't!!)I've tested AVG by opening up an email I know contains a virus just to check! Works every time and that to me is how much confidence I have in AVG myself!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

Blackvelvet - I've been using Norton AV for 5 or 6 years now, along with some of their other goodies. Lots of virus attempts but all caught.

Your brother being down for 3 weeks after a virus hit does tell me something though - is isnt' very PC literate and was probably slow about updating his virus def files.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Chris, I, up to this point had NO complaints at all about AVG,, in fact I have recomended it to a couple of my friends. They have had zero trouble with it, even my son in law uses it and yet again no trouble. But me, well, I'm the one that "if it's gonna happen, then it's me that it happens to" :) It's just that with some thing as seroius as anti virus software I just can't take the risk that it won't protect my P.C., so thats the reason for going back to Norton after A.V.G. let those in.

I think thats explained it, I'm not very good at explaining my-self very well I'm afraid (sorry). :(:(

I got my emails working this evening and there were 53 in total, out of these there where about (I didn't count them) 10 that according to Norton had virus in them. I just deleted the whole lot in the hope that if any were important that the senders will resend them. If they don't then well not to worry.

Colin how is it going with your emails?, are you still having problems with spam and virus attacks?.

[ 04. March 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: bushwacker ]

bushwacker:

Colin how is it going with your emails?, are you still having problems with spam and virus attacks?.

I don't have a problem with the Anti virus, Norton seems to work well enough. It's just the sheer number of virus attacks that it picks up and deletes. What's the point of it all? I suppose some freak is getting a kick out of screwing up other peoples lives. I suppose the original targets were businesses and companies such as Microsoft who the attacker had either a grudge against or were jealous of their success. However if an ordinary guy gets his or her computer screwed up, it costs them a lot of money to get it put right again. I suppose I'm lucky to have a little bit of knowledge on the subject, but there's an awful lot out there who don't have a clue. In an ideal world we would all use av progs and f/walls etc and the problem would soon be eliminated. Perhaps instead of all the infighting and squabbling amongst the computer giants of the world they should all be getting together to come up with software to go onto every computer sold that automatically updates and installs AV progs and F/Walls. Perhaps they already are? Who knows?

I am still getting 6-8 vitus carrying emails per day, 2 at a time and then nothing from that address again, so it's obviously a concerted attempt to infect my and many other machines! Why?

I am just trying Mailwasher pro again!! I will keep you all posted.

Colin [rant over]