Kayack fishing....record catches in UK

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Geoff,

all good advice from Gonefishing above! Like he says well worth visiting Anglersafloat.co.uk...aside from the advice that you'll find there, the links to the U.S. sites are fantastic. Our friends over the pond have been Kayakfishing for many years and so have perfected the art!!!...although it is always developing, with new kit invented all the time.

So a £350 should get you started (depends very much on which yak you go for...personally I'd stick with one of the Sit-on-top models from Ocean Kayak). You could easily spend £700 on a yak, accessories and your safety kit, but you don't 'have to'. Be aware that yaks are generally supplied without very much on them in the way of accessories. This keeps the initial cost low, but you'll almost certainly want to buy extras later! The beauty of kayakfishing is that once you've stumped up for your gear...there's very little else to pay. You can sling a yak on the car roof and be out on the water in no time! :) Get out and try a yak if you can...some of the best surf shops hire out sit-on-tops for the day.

Like GF said though...Safety first...fork out on the safety kit first...it is so important...it's a big sea out there!

The other thing I wanted to say is that I have yakfished the West coast of Scotland near Oban...and it is just magical!!!! :D It's worth the trip for me and that's a 9 hour drive!!! The bays and lochs hold fantastic opportunities for Kayakfishing...particularly the more sheltered areas (virtually all weather). With direct access to very deep water and a massive variety of fish!

Anyhow, I could waffle for hours, but I won't! Read up a bit about the subject. Any queries come back here and fire a question or two at us and we'll be glad to help, anytime.

Welcome aboard! Cheers for now,

Art :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakity,

Finally got to see your set up image this morning, couldn't view at home, like the compass in the cooler.

On a lighter note how do you reach your hat when paddling? :D

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thank you artfulfisher and gonefishing very much for the advice!

I think the way the caper is set up in the pictures at http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk is amazing! i had no idea you could rig one out with a fish finder. For me one of the biggest downsides of fishing from rocks is you dont know what you are fishing over. It could be 3 ft deep or just outside of a gully. Also i love using baitcasting rods and prawns and the like. this seems the perfect way of using these methods.

The only thing with the caper is it seems a little shorter than the other kayaks pictured.

What are you guys favorite kayak, in terms of stability, capacity and ease of transport?

I hope this won't cause any trouble between you guys! :D

And also thanks to Sarvinmarvin and newt who ansered my same question in another thread.

Cheers! :)

Hi Art,

Glad you like the Bazils.......Boom...Boom.

Does look like Newts part of the world, just wish we had the same fish too. :D

Yes, the conditions were the best weve had for a long time.

Went out on Sunday too,had another good day, only problem was, three Spearfisherman in the same area:(

Catch you later.

Yakity. :)

Geoff...i havent had much experience with sit on kayak's, but put it this way, i can stand on mine on the water with a bit of balance :) its a scrambler XT...kit wise, it can carry an aqualung + extra gear on the rear and theres plenty of room up front for other stuff.

Posted Image

Starvin,

The two gator clips need to face the right way to work.

S/S Bull Ring with quick release clip.

Let out your anchor rope untill you are happy with whats out, then tie a loop in the line and clip on,move the clip forward or aft, or somewhere in between to hold the Yaks position where you want it.

Leave a bit of slack from the ropes coil, to allow the movement.

I havent done it yet, but I intend to put a bit of bungee rope,about 2 foot doubled, from the bull ring to the quick release clip, acts as a buffer, have done it on bow and stern ropes with good results, stops snatching in rough water.

[ 06. September 2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]