Kayack fishing....record catches in UK

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi All,

Well, it makes a change to be able to report a good day,good weather,and good fish.

Was up at 06.00 this morning, got everything loaded on the van, and made my way to the bay.

I rigged the Yak to fish both lures and bottom.

Was useing Toby lures, and rag for bait.

Unfortunately, I have not made up my mind on the scales thing, so all fish caught will not count for anything.

But I did enjoy the sport.

I paddled out around the point, on a calm oily looking sea, there wasnt anyone else about, very quiet.

First cast went away, useing the Toby,I was reeling in and looking over the water for tell tale movement, when I looked up to the cliffs and saw these two chaps wandering about,

Posted Image bad link due to the space. Corrected and shows picture below)

Posted Image

Quite unexpected.

Posted Image

A look back, as if to say see ya.

The first fish came, a Bass I reckon nearly 5lb,

it took the lure and gave battle, a good fight too,got him to the side of the Yak and he went ballistic, repeated dives for the bottom, but alas he was mine.

To my shame gentleman, this one came home with me, and will be served tommorrow, off the bar bee.

Posted Image

I kept up with the lures for another hour, but then decided to try the bottom.

Anchored off a reef , and sent the bait to the bottom,had a nice time playing with this chap.

Posted Image

Had several more, and all good fun.

Also had success with Pollock up to 2lb.

So......there you have it :)

Have included a pidture of the new set up, for those interested.

Posted Image

So.... all in all a good day.

Yakity:)

edit note: YY, I left the first picture link as it was to show the problem. Spaces in the filename and it just won't display on here as a picture. Newt

[ 05. September 2004, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write-up and great pictures. Thanks for both.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi YY...Brilliant pics!!!

I love the foxes...for a moment I thought I was looking at a scene from Newt's side of the pond...looks like Coyotes in Arizona!!! :D ...that is until you spot the cormorants/shags (to small to see what they're doin!!!) and a 'frozen in flight' Oyster Catcher bottom left!!! :D

Very envious matey!!!...and the conditions look fantastic this morning too!...I did say to 'catch one for me', earlier, but blimey a five pound bass and numerous other beauties!!!...you're just showing off!!! :D ...your set up looks great now too...can't wait to get mine sorted! ...anyhow congratulations on a great day!

I think you'd better make those scales a priority with catches like that!!!

Anyway I must get back to work...but having stopped for a cuppa and a look at AN...I had to reply to such a good posting!

Titelines all

Art :)

Art - we have our fair share of cormorants too. Just not the issue they are when inland in the UK since even the lakes that have a fair population of them are large enough not to be impacted to any noticeable extent.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

Once again, I m in your debt, Thankyou for your help with the pics,I see where the space was ,in the upload,and will be aware of this in future.

Tricky little devil huh ??

I do appreciate your help.

I hope your keeping well, also the family.

Im very pleased you liked the post, and pics.

Like to have your company in our posts Newt, stay in touch with us.

Thanks again pal.

Yakity. :)

Nice one Newt,

yes the cormorants do cause a bit of a headache here in the UK on some of the small inland lakes and ponds...particularly the little trout fisheries...

I once saw owner of a Dorset trout lake, wander buy me as i tied on a fresh fly...I was aware of his presence nearby but due to my intense concentration and the fact that I was the only angler there on this beautiful early morning...I paid him little attention.

Suddenly...BOOM!!! ...as I turned to see the remains of a cormorant blown clean out of the water and onto the far bank!

I was dum struck...he walked calmly back past me uttered 'morning' and carried on like it was a ritual he performed daily!

I can understand the guys emotion...seeing his newly stocked highly over priced trout devoured by cormorants...but I was left unimpressed by the affair or though not quite as unimpressed as the sorry looking carcass on the far bank!

Anyway I digress...nice to hear you've got 'em too!!! All the Best Newt.

Art :)

Well it all seems a bit pointless now, but yes I did get out Saturday morning, it was like a mill pond. Armed with float rig, running ledger and feathers I made haste to my chosen mark, just of Hayling beach.

Doning rubber gloves I delved into the wrapped newspaper in front of me and plucked a vicious looking ragworm, though he attempted to do me injury I baited my 1/0 Aberdeen and sent the running ledger out into the depths, performing the same ritual to ragworm no 2 he too sent out to bob around under my float rig.

The float was first dipping a couple of times and then it disappeared, Joey Mackerel had taken the bait, after a quick weigh and release it was cast back out.

About 20 minutes later and just as I was about to check the bait on rod number 1 the tip nodded, then again, followed by a nice bend, I struck and my first Bass of the day was on, recovered, photographed and weighed I was hopeing it was a UKKA record at 1lb 12oz, I cast out another lug having returned mr bass, another 15 minutes and it bass no 2 slightly smaller this time at 1lb 8oz.

Spent a little longer out in the sunshine watching the beach fill up and then paddled back.

A great mornings fishing, would post the piccies but I shot the fish on film so will have to wait for another 10 or so fish before processing!

Hope everyone else got out. Well done Yakity, 5lb's don't think they get that big at Hayling, nice wrasse too, sadly can't view the new set image for some reason, would love to see it.

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

hi yakity, lovely fish and nice pics too. well done!the pictures of the point get me all nostalgic like!! hi art, i have a fishing mate who always carries his gun with him, if its a bit quiet,he wanders off to shoot a few cormorants or terrapins,or anything else that he dont like the look of to be honest!!!hmmm... :D:D

Hi everyone!

I've moved this posting here in the hope that it will get noticed.

I found this sight after watching "screaming reels" one sunday. Nick fisher was in Ireland fishing from the rocks and at one point, near the end started using a float tube.

Two years ago when i went to cornwall i used an inflatable dinghy and small outboard out of boscastle and had some great day's with the pollack.

However it wasn't the safest fishing ever so i looked at getting a small boat. Because i'm 23 insurance was a problem and money and towing so in the end i gave up.

When i saw this float tube i thought it would be perfect for occasional use. And thats when i found out about kayaking.

I've had a look at the new site and it looks great but i was wondering how much it costs to set up?

Is it that safe?

And how much scope for use would there be 'oop north'?

Could i use it on the Western side of Scotland in summer or is it just a southern thing? i live in Sunderland and Scotland isn't too far.

Sorry if i'm asking you to repeat info you have already posted but i'm new here.

Cheers! :confused: :D

Any advice would be great.

to try and answer a couple of points.

you need a kayak :D ...you could use pretty much anything with a little adaptation, but the sit on's like the Ocean Kayak range etc offer more usability due to greater stability, more ease for carrying equipment and durability...depending on model and accessories they're about £350 (when i bought mine a couple of years ago)...paddles go from £30-£100, you get what you pay for...the more expensive ones are lighter and more efficient (but sometimes more fragile)...but you can be happy with a cheap one...does my mate fine.

You also need a life jacket or bouyancy jacket. On colder days a wetsuit.

Rod wise, something small and light will get you going, I use a £30 rod and reel special...bargain basement..6ft long, but its light, i can cast a little and it works for me.

Weatherwise, well i wouldnt fish an F5 but i'll go for a muck about in the surf in safe water in one...will happily fish an F3 in mine. Its a Scrambler XT, which offers more stability than the Scrambler.

Depending on how much you can take the cold you could say it could be an all year thing...but in summer i'm in shorts only :) ...only use a thin wetsuit now for evenings. Wetsuits tend to sap a little energy, so if i can avoid wearing one i will.

Safety wise, its as safe or dangerous as you want to make it...there are obvious dangers to going out to sea, even if its a 100yds...being able to swim is probably a must...having a life jacket is another. Then its a case of recognising currents and wind direction and being able to cope with them. Staying within your depth, so to speak, like when your learning to swim is the way. As you build up more confidence and knowledge you can go further. I've canoed 20 miles around headlands in a day (knackered afterwards) and i know people who've canoed across the solent and around the IOW in a couple...but to be honest we just fish around a few 100yds off shore :) Sometimes its just nice for a paddle, othertimes its nice just to get past where you would cast or get somewhere tricky to fish from.

Don't take my word as gospel, i'm still a newbie at this, there are more experienced paddlers in this thread.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/ has some useful info :)