Tracing IP addresses

Colin Brett

Is it possible to find out who has posted messages on a forum from their IP address?

I would add it is not me trying to trace anyone, but it might be the police trying to trace malicious postings.

I want to delete the messages from my board but hesitate to do so until I know if the police can trace back to the sender.

Not sure if this makes sense but what the hell!!

Colin

An IP address can usually be traced back to the ISP who own / control it, with an online tool known as whois, try http://www.ripe.net/db/whois/whois.html for a simple to use version of the tool.

For example the IP address my home PC currently has traces back as being owned by BT wholesale (try it I'm 81.155.12.23)

from that point on however it is up to the ISP involved, and what the local laws allow as to how easy it would be to identify the individual that was using that IP address at a particular time. In the UK for instance you would usually require a Court Order requiring the ISP to give you the infomation.

Mat

So you could get as far as, for instance, UTV Internet ISP Services for an ip from

195.218.116.0 - 195.218.116.31

but would have to get them to drill down to the user of a specific IP within the range they use.

Given that most folks have a dynamic address, they'd need to check records to figure out who had an address at a specific time/date.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks guys, I think the court order could be forthcoming!

Although I doubt anything will happen to the person/s involved as you seem to need to commit murder for a half reasonable sentence to be imposed.

Don't ask what it's all about, it's all to complicated. Needless to say the board is no longer in use.

If caught these persons will be let off anyway.

Thanks again,

Colin

i dont think you can do it as your i.p. address is different every time you go online ,i wonder if i.s.p`s keep records of "used" i.p`s and when and who used them at the particular time the messages were sent :):) mind you it wouldnt surprise me if they did everything else we do is filed away for "terrorist" reasons :mad:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Whatever happened to static IP addresses??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Too many devices and not enough available addresses using IPv4 as we do today.

IPv6 and that problem will go away. I imagine we'll see only static addresses then.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mmmm, only reason I ask Newt is because several times when I have registered a new site name I have been told that my number HAD been logged?! And then it went on to tell me what it was!? And I know WHO I believe!! And they don't live in NC!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

the easies way to find out is to go here

http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?...OOTGUSDJNRNJWDJ

use the security check link ,note your ip number ,log off the net ,go back on and repeat ,i have done a couple of times and my address certainly changes ,maybe if you have broadband its always the same but i`m dialup,there is another interesting and maybe usefull link as well about tracing

[ 19. August 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson