sp2 probs

kendo

ever since updating to sp2 last Sunday I have had nothing but probs with programmes taking minutes yes minutes to open after reaching the desktop,if I click on a connection its a good five minute wait,or any other programme for that matter,its not just the connection I have to wait for its any program I try to open if I try to open two or three they will all open after the wait but all at the same time,I have tried a virus scan,ran Norton system works finds no probs,I have also tried turning the firewall off but still no go,anyone any ideas or experiencing the same?

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

try hitting control/alt/delete to bring up task manager your cpu may be being flogged by something else,i had trouble with one program that was using 100% of the cpu shutting it down restored everything to normal

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Kendo - I have heard of instances of Norton not playing nice with SP2.

Suggestion would be to remove it for a bit and see if your problems go away. You can always reload it later if you decide you want it. I finally ditched it myself after being a faithful user for some years. As follows.

- print this reply since you'll be off the internet for a good bit of the work.

- Download (but do not install) the free version of AVG anti-virus.

- Download and save Symclean.exe and print a copy of the web page.

- Disconnect from the internet. If broadband, unplug your cable from the modem.

- From control panel and add/remove, remove Norton (and which version do you have?).

- Following the instructions on the sysclean page, run it to remove the traces of Norton that add/remove missed.

- Install AVG and start it running.

- Connect to the internet and immediately update AVG. Do not open a browser window or email until that is done.

- Open My Computer, right-click on your C: drive (assuming XP is loaded there), left click on properties. Click to do a disk cleanup and after the search is finished, check to remove all items except 'compress ...'. Leave that one unchecked.

- When the cleaning is done, click on the Tools tab and disk defragmentation. If you've been using the norton defrag, the drive will appear very badly fragged to the built-in program.

- When the defragmentation is done, on the same Tools tab go to error checking, tick both the autofix and bad sector scans and let that run. It should require you to reboot to start the process and it can take a while to run.

I'd expect this entire process to require a couple of hours if you have broadband. Longer with dial-up since the new AV program will take longer to get.

When all is done, I strongly suggest turning the XP firewall on.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

which version of nortons is playing up Newt ,i`m still using both Nortons AV and firewall 2002 ( )

its seems a pity to stop using them when they still are being updated

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1 - I think SP2 is too recent to have a full report on problems but I have read about them with 2003/2004.

I do think Norton is working hard to fix the problems - albeit a little tardy of them since some have been known to Symantec for a while.

It also seems to be sporadic with most users doing fine and some having a major horror tale. If you have SP2 loaded and all is well, no real need to do anything at this point.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

strange the symantec site says sp2 has no effect on nortons firewall or av :confused:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html#4

What I am surprised at is that Microsoft have not released a utility that scans your system for possible problems, pre-install of sp2. Or have they?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

they do scan for the download size (i guess they look at whats installed) even with auto update off i have now been offered a 75mb download of sp2 ,still far too big though