New computer suggestions

Peggy Burke

Thanks Paul - a good bit of haggling! Steve haggled with Dell a few years back and got a faster processor and a bigger hard drive for free. Not as goog as your bargain though! Mind you, when Steve's in haggling mode in the High Street I walk out with embarrassment!

Had a look at Mesh but they're very much more expensive than Dell's special offer.

Having done a bit of research we're probably going to go for the 17" CRT monitor with the Dell, and then buy a separate 17" TFT monitor in the sales. That way we'll end up with 2 monitors for the price of one, and I can upgrade mine.

Has anyone seen any offers in the sales, either for TFT monitors or a computer with a spec like the Dell Dimension 3000?

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peggy Burke:

Micrsoft Works  is included in the price (although we currently run Office SBE).

reinstall office as works ain't that hot and useless when attatching docs etc to email as not very well recognised

had to copy an essay and convert to word on work pc then resend

went for the 3000 dimension upgraded to pentiunm 4 2.8ghz

can't fault it delighted :D

[ 27. December 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: tack4 ]

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Peggy

Dell is good kit.

17" is plenty.

You don't need a floppy drive.

40 gig HD is also plenty.

Ditch works, install Office.

There really is no such thing as "sales" in the computer trade because of the pace of new technology and the small margins in such a cut-throat market.

You don't mention which warranty option you are going for. I don't bother with them myself but for peace of mind Dell do a superb three year, at home, next day warranty (costs you though).

Thanks for the advice everyone.

We'll be re-installing Office, although we may use the database in Works.

We've now ordered the Dell Dimension 3000 with XP Pro (thanks Newt), an Ethernet card and a 17" CRT monitor. Steve got an extra £10 off the special offer price, making a total of £374 including VAT and delivery! We'll then buy a separate 17" TFT monitor in the sales as the Dell upgrade was too costly.

If you're happy with XP Home and don't need an Ethernet card the basic package at £301 is exceptional value for money. For this you get a 2600 Celeron processor, 512mb RAM, 17" monitor and a CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive.

However, note that the special offer ends tomorrow (Wednesday, 29th).

Thanks again to everyone.

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights