New computer suggestions

Peggy Burke

As mentioned on another thread it looks as though it's time to replace Steve's computer.

Dell are offering their Dimension 3000 for only £301 including VAT & delivery. This has a 2600 Celeron processor, 512mb RAM, 17" monitor, 48x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive and XP home.

We use our computers just for the internet and as a home office, and we don't play computer games. We therefore need nothing other than a very basic machine, and this seems to fit the bill at a very good price.

Any other suggestions?

[ 25. December 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Peggy Burke ]

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mirror jeepsters comments.

It all depends on what you want your PC to do. I, myself need a specific spec PC so have to pay quite a bit more unfortunately.

There is no reason why a 2600 shouldn't be more than quick enough & "future proof" for your needs

I know people who still use an old 486 as all they ever do is word processing, no internet or email & it is more than quick enough for your their needs.

I run an old AMD 300 as my fileserver & it does a stirling job - I could upgrade it but it would be a total waste of money as it servers it's purpose more than adequately

Don't spend more than you can justify ...

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Peggy - Here is an excellent review of the Dimenion 3000 system.

Most of their negatives are not things that will be a problem for you but several did jump out at me and are things you might want to consider having modified even though it will push the system cost up a little.

- no floppy drive standard and if you don't get one, the place for it is disabled so you can't change your mind later.

- 40Gb hard drive. Pretty small these days and I'm not sure the power supply will properly support a 2nd hard drive even if there is room in the case so if you needed larger, you'd probably have to replace the one in the PC.

- and now for the biggie for folks our age. The monitor is a 17" which is just too small. I upgraded my PC from 17" to flat panel 19" (not the LCD one since I don't want to pay that much and have plenty of room) and the difference is really substantial.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

- no floppy drive standard and if you don't get one, the place for it is disabled so you can't change your mind later.

- 40Gb hard drive.  Pretty small these days and I'm not sure the power supply will properly support a 2nd hard drive even if there is room in the case so if you needed larger, you'd probably have to replace the one in the PC.

i wouldnt let these two bother me, you can get dirt cheap usb floppy drives these days, and by the time you've filled up your 40gb drive, the price of 120gb (or even bigger) external drives will have fallen through the floor

Sounds like the one I have Peggy, although I opted to have the seperate DVD drive, think it was an extra tenner. I am more than happy with the system, much better than my previous effort and has been totaly reliable.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Thats impressive value for money.

Having just changed both of the screens on my machines to 17" LCDs I'm more than happy with the size of the display. Can't remember the last time I used a floppy drive and as Ant pointed out you can always add-on, it wont break the bank for am external floppy drive. As for hard drive size, I've been running my main business machine with two 80 gig drives for about a year and have barely used 20% of capacity. You can always add an internal or external extra drive if you start to use up 40 gig quickly. how big is your current drive and how much space are you using ?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Thanks, everyone.

I think the Dell system should satisfy all our needs. A 40gig hard drive is probably fine and what we both have at the moment. Both are well less than a quarter full. I suspect that by the time we need more capacity we'll need a new machine anyway, and as Jeepster said prices will no doubt have fallen.

However we have desktops rather than towers as this saves space the way our offices are set up. Can we use a tower as a desktop by turning it on its side?

Newt, I take your point about a bigger monitor but again space is at a premium. Steve currently has a 17" CRT monitor and gets along fine with it, but struggles with my 15". A 19" CRT would add £58.75.

The alternative would be a flat panel monitor. It's an extra £105.75 for a 15" model and £163.33 for a 17". We've never had a flat panel monitor before but we're tempted as it would free up desk space. Thoughts anyone?

We've already got a USB memory key so presumably don't need a floppy, especially as my computer has a floppy and so can read old discs if we ever needed to. Microsoft Works is included in the price (although we currently run Office SBE), as are speakers.

The only other thing we need to add is a sound card for £36 making a total cost of £337 including VAT & delivery, which seems very competitive. (Newt, I don't think we can get eMachine computers in the UK). Anyone know of a better buy .......?

BTW, the offer closes on the 29th. Next week's special will no doubt be on a more powerful machine.

[ 26. December 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Peggy Burke ]

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Peggy I have limited office space at home and I changed to LCD monitors some time ago. My monitors are on narrow shelves on the wall just above my desk. The difference in 'freed up' space over my old CRT monitors is about 40% of the available desktop space. I could probably hang the monitors directly on the wall but the shelf provides extra space either side for speakers, external drive, camera re-charger etc.

[ 26. December 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'